Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Havant Street - Portsmouth - trying to locate !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Havant Street - Portsmouth - trying to locate !

Morning all.

Wondering if anyone can help please ?

I'm trying to find exactly WHERE on Havant Street (Portsmouth) - number 30 was.

Due to WW2 bombing in Portsmouth, a huge number of houses were destroyed, and redevelopment has also removed many of the houses.

I have been to Portsmouth on a few occasions, and Havant Street - DOES still stand...........but obviously not number 30.

What I really am after is some sort of numbered street map from the 1901/1911 time - or slightly after.........maybe to the start of WW2.

I have contacted Portsmouth museum - no response after 2 weeks.

A branch of my direct family lived at 30 Havant Street, and it would be super to know exactly where on the street the house was located.

Many thanks indeed.

Simon, I don't know if I'll be able to help, but I have an 1896 Godfrey Edition map Portsea and Havant Street is hown. It has no numbers on it but it is fairly detailed.

As you have been there, can you work out which end it would be?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Portsmouth Local History

This might be useful - I found it through the links on the Hampshire page in the wiki.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just for the record, you can see each property's boundaries. The date isn't too far out, so I suggest you buy this map.

The top end forms a right angle with Queen Street. At the bottom Havant Street opens into College Street.

Just under half-way up from College Street there is a turning on the left into Clock Street.

The reverse of the map gives details of some of the people who lived there - quite interesting, but I haven't found Havant Street so far.
        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 28-11-09, 10:35.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have now found "Queen street, Portsea, Edinburgh road to Havant street" and then it lists quite a few businesses and individuals.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

If you cannot locate a map which has house numbers, have you tried walking through the 1901 census to get some idea of where the house might have been.

Starting at 14 Havant Street, the next building enumerated is Bennetts Building - then 15-18 Havant Street ---> Camden Place ---> 19-24 Havant Street ---> Hampton Court ---> 26-30 Havant Street --> Victoria Place

Looking at Havant Street on the 1901 census there seem to be a few pubs named -
            22 Havant Streeet - Navy and Friends
            26 Havant Street - Ship Leopard
            29 Havant Street - Red Lion

I wonder if this is the original Ship Leopard - Portsmouth, Ship Leopard on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
            which seems to be on a junction - Hard Street with ????
            Elaine

Comment

I know that our local library houses maps of the town, and these are very detailed and some houses have numbers, you could also try the local council they might have info/maps etc.. that would help.

failing that the County Record Office should have them.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you all for the advice/suggestions - I have some free time this week, so will take a look and get things moving.

Would be fabulous to locate the actual place in the Street where the house was though.

Any other suggestions........please add to this Thread.

There are some houses still on the street (in 2009), but I have no idea if the numbers on these are 'new' - certainly there wasn't a number 30 when I last went - in Aug '09.

Comment

I've just been looking at an aeriel view on Google Maps - doesn't look like any original houses still exist. It's right by the harbour and harbour station, so can imagine that the area was well targeted in WW2.

Unfortunately Streetview has yet to film it.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                    I've just been looking at an aeriel view on Google Maps - doesn't look like any original houses exist. It's right by the harbour and harbour station, so can imagine that the area was well targeted in WW2.

Unfortunately Streetview has yet to film it.
                    Correct - it was utterly hammered. I've seen some post-WW2 overhead photo's of the area - and there was not much left.

In 2009 - at the ends of the Street, there are some 'old' buildings, but I really am not sure how 'old' they are. There is a pub near the old Dock wall, now that is original and is on the Census records of 1901 etc etc. In the middle of the Street as you walk it now, is an NCP car park, and an office block. There are also council properties built where the bombs fell just behind the Street - you can clearly see where the area was cleared post-WW2 and
                    the council properties put up.

Comment

Perhaps Portsmouth library is the place to enquire.
                      I know they have several books with photos of Portsmouth pre-war.
                      They were also helpful in locating a map of the Arundel Street area for me, so that I could see where my father was born in a now re developed part of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                        Perhaps Portsmouth library is the place to enquire.
                        I know they have several books with photos of Portsmouth pre-war.
                        They were also helpful in locating a map of the Arundel Street area for me, so that I could see where my father was born in a now re developed part of the city.
                        Thanks for the tip.

Looks like I'll be rather busy this week after all this help.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi

We have a collection of historic maps of Portsmouth at work, some in unbelievably high scale which even show garden layouts etc. Although I think they may be slightly earlier than the date you want I will have a look when I get a moment and see if there are any house numbers for that street on any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by poppybat View Post
                            Hi

We have a collection of historic maps of Portsmouth at work, some in unbelievably high scale which even show garden layouts etc. Although I think they may be slightly earlier than the date you want I will have a look when I get a moment and see if there are any house numbers for that street on any of them.
                            That would be fabulous - thank you. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by english bob
                              .. my 1930-1 Kelly's has Alfred E Stallard, Coal dealer at the address, that side of the (street) Terrace seems to be shops, an Alfred Edward Stallard is given at number 38 Havant treet, that part of the terrace across from Victoria Place.

I'll take a look at my limited WW11 books and see if I have anything else.

Bob in Pompey
                              Yes, that would be corect - he married one of the sisters of my Great Grandmother and they bought the business from her father.

Much appreciated indeed. Thank you.

Comment

I 'think' I might have the answer............

I sent an e-mail to the Portsmouth Records office and they have come back to me (via e-mail) saying that they have Ord Survey maps for the area.

So need to phone them today - they can then send me an A3 copy.

No idea when the Ord Survey map is from, but they have said that they will be able to highlight number 30.

Will update later.

I would still be interested in any other 'bits and bobs' on Havant Street that people have suggested they might be able to locate/find from this Thread.

Thank you.

Comment

I now have all the details from Portsmouth Records Office - so I know where the house stood - yay !

Only cost me £4.50 - I now have 3 x A3 sheets of maps. Very good value I think.

Comment

Glad to see you got a great result Simon.

:xmas_sign:
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                    X