Missing 20 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing 20 years.

I feel I'm missing some obvious search I should be doing but can't think what it is.

Alice Hart born 7th Feb 1870 Westhoughton, Lancs. daughter of Daniel Hart and Ann (Dickinson). They married Sep 1868. Daniel died Sep 1870.

1871 Alice is with her mother and grandparents
    RG10 Piece 3912 Folio 25 Page 2.

The next time I see Alice is 18th Feb 1891 when she marries Edward Mundey in Warwick, Qld Australia.

I've searched the 1881 without luck. I searched all the Ann Hart (in the general area)marriages in case she re-married.

I cannot find Alice coming to Australia either under Hart or any possible surname if her mother remarried.

Alice's marriage cert has her mother as Ann Hart so I don't think she did remarry.

Any ideas for the missing 20 years???

There is an entry on Ancestry -

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923
    Alice Hart born c 1870
    Ann Hart born c1847
    Departure port - London
    Arrival - Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia - 5 July 1878

Ship: Aconcagua

No passenger list image available.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine...that certainly looks like them. Ann was born in 1847.

I didn't find that on the Vic Passenger lists last time I looked on Vic Archives.

Do you have to search seperately on Ancestry for the shipping lists????

Ooh Thank you (nearly forgot)

Comment

I use this link:
        Search Immigration & Emigration Records - Ancestry.co.uk

which on the Ancestry.co.uk site is on a drop down list from the search tab.
        Elaine

Comment

Looks like Alice & Ann do show up here:

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine................that link isn't working, but it is where I found them. Now I know I've checked there before because that is where I've found a few of mine....lol

Very odd that Ann and Alice would come unassisted. I've gone through that ship and can't find anyone who looks like they were with them.

I'll have to get the records and see if they mention anything else, although unassisted usually have less detail than assisted.

Maybe Daniel's will might shed some light.

OOhhhh I hate looking for wills after 1858!!!

Thanks again.

Comment

That's weird.

I copy-pasted the link, but I can't get it to work - even if I copy paste the link back into my browser!

I'll try another tack...

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Start again...
                Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

Put in ..
                Ship: Aconcagua
                Month: July - July
                Year: 1878 - 1878

There are 457 "hits". Choose page 4 of the results list (i.e. passenger list). The names are almost at the bottom of the page.

Christine

Comment

There are one or two odd/unusual names - possibly mistranscriptions.

BOSEELL J 23
                  DOHEITY A C 19
                  DURGESS JOHN 30
                  HALFERTY J H 26
                  HARNEY JOHN 20
                  MASTIN WM 18
                  MULDERIGH PETER 23
                  RELTON THOMAS 53

There are some others, but these are the ones of which I am most suspicious! They could be perfectly valid names, but I'd quite like to see the original to see what was written.

Christine

Comment

Re posible Will.
                    If Alice is born 1870 and they emigrate in 1878 without husband then he could have died between the 2 dates.
                    I notice you live in Australia-would you like me to look up the probate records here to see if I can find Daniel.
                    I do not go to Manchester on a regular basis-but next time I do go I would be glad to look.

Comment

Thank you. Daniel was dead before the 1871 census and there is only one death that fits. Sep quarter 1870, Bolton.

I'm wondering how Ann afforded the trip here with Alice. Of course her parents could have died and left something and there is even a possible death for her sister, Martha.

I'm really just being nosey......lol...trying to fill in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                        Thank you. Daniel was dead before the 1871 census and there is only one death that fits. Sep quarter 1870, Bolton.

I'm wondering how Ann afforded the trip here with Alice. Of course her parents could have died and left something and there is even a possible death for her sister, Martha.

I'm really just being nosey......lol...trying to fill in those years.
                        OK next time I go I will have a look

Comment

"I'm really just being nosey......lol...trying to fill in those years."

Isn't that what we all are? :Big Grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post

I've just had a look on Lancs BMD. That death is recorded in 1870:
                            HART / Daniel / 24 / Westhoughton / Bolton / WH/8/66
                            That looks very likely to be yours, then.

Christine

Comment

Yes..I'm sure that's mine as his daughter, Alice was born there.

I'm going to start another thread as I'm looking for more on Daniel's birth now......lol....and ii might get too confusing.

Comment

The Daniel HART / Ann DICKINSON marriage is fully transcribed on the Lancs OPC site.

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project - Search

Just put in Daniel for first name and Hart for Surname. There are 4 Hits at the moment. The marriage is the last.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine..............I found that. This area is all new to me and I'm finding all sorts of info.

That is where I got Thomas as Daniel's father.

I really must have a look at the parishes around that area.

Comment

Working...
                                  X