Legacy 7: How to add illegitimate child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy 7: How to add illegitimate child

I have a woman recorded in my database with an existing husband. I now find that before she was married she had an illegitimate child. As is typical of the chauvinistic 19th century this is recorded as an immaculate conception: there is no father's name in the birth certificate.

I tried to create another family for this woman, but L7 insists that I provide a name for the "husband".

How do I attach a child to a fatherless family?

Add a new unlinked individual - put in the name of the illegitimate child. Add a mother for this child, select link to existing person, enter the RIN or name of the mother.

Lynda

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
      Add a new unlinked individual - put in the name of the illegitimate child. Add a mother for this child, select link to existing person, enter the RIN or name of the mother.

Lynda
      Thank you, that achieved the desired result. However don't you think that illegitimate children have enough going against them that Legacy 7 should avoid making them even more uncomfortable by insisting that they have to be added by a process that is completely unlike the method for adding legitimate children? L7 doesn't even permit unlinking a child from ONE parent.

Perhaps if the people responsible for the "how to add a child" wiki had taken the time to try and document the process as it applied to illegitimate children, and not just legitimate children, they would have pointed out this discrepancy to the product designers.

Comment

I don't know who did the wiki you refer to, but they would only have known about the problem if they had tried to add an illegitimate child. But now that you mention it, I will submit a suggestion to them.

Lynda

Comment

With the latest update it is now possible to add a son/daughter to an unmarried person. If added to a male, the child will automatically be assigned the surname of the parent; if added to female you are required to enter a surname.

Comment

Working...
          X