School for the Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School for the Blind

I thought this was really interesting! I came accross someone on the 1841 census in the School for the Indigent Blind. In 1851 he was back with his family working as a basketmaker.

I was quite surprised to find the son of an AgLab at such a place at a comparitively early date. All ages of people were pupils in the school.

Here's the census page - Ancestry.co.uk

And here's a reference to the school found via Google
    Victorian London - Education - Schools - School for the Indigent Blind

Anne

That's very interesting, Anne, and good to know that they were educating the blind in the 18th century.

Does anyone know what this phrase means: "and they make all the shines for the inmates of the School"?

Lynda

Comment

My husband had a great-great-uncle who was blind, who is in this school in 1871. He was trained to be a basket maker, and he married a girl from the school who wove chair bottoms. Its because this man kept his name - Richard McCarthy - that I was able to find his father, who had changed his name from Denis McCarthy to James Carter.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
        That's very interesting, Anne, and good to know that they were educating the blind in the 18th century.

Does anyone know what this phrase means: "and they make all the shines for the inmates of the School"?

Lynda
        Hi - Could be to do with cutting?? (At first I thought it meant polishing shoes)

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
          Hi - Could be to do with cutting?? (At first I thought it meant polishing shoes)
          Checked the dictionaries and the only meanings for shine are the obvious ones. The only other thing I can find is the phrase 'cutting a shine' which seems to mean acting up. Not sure how that would relate. Is that what you meant Naomi?

Lynda

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
            Checked the dictionaries and the only meanings for shine are the obvious ones. The only other thing I can find is the phrase 'cutting a shine' which seems to mean acting up. Not sure how that would relate. Is that what you meant Naomi?

Lynda
            Hi Lynda - I got the same info as you really, but one of the meanings meant to cut...so perhaps cutting a shine/playing up, originated from something to do with cutting....I also looked at basket weaving/shines...but couldn't see anything that would make sense....wonder if shines is a shortening/variation of a longer word...shine can also mean skin....tanning skins for shoes??
            "their time is occupied in the manufacture of plain and fancy rugs, basket-work of all kinds, mats, shoes"
            Author, freelance writer, short stories, poet
            Last edited by naomiatt; 28-11-09, 21:11.

Comment

Perhaps you are taking "shine' too literally and it is not as originally written. Two lines lower the word "time" is used twice where "the" would be expected.

AH AH I had another thought and Googled. The book that the article is extracted from is a 'Google book". The extract is from page 59 and the men and boys make all the "shoes" !!

I Googled timbs +"curiosities of london"

It is a very interesting book and I read several parts in the process.

Comment

Well done! It sound like a case of Optical Character Recognition gone mad! Someone lifted it from the book for the website but didn't check it thoroughly enough.

Anne

Comment

Well that's sorted then. Good detective work Cliff! and thanks.

Lynda

Comment

Working...
                  X