Banns before marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banns before marriage

When a couple have their banns read for three weeks, is there a timescale for the date of the actual marriage.
    I have a couple with the banns read but no sign of a marriage.
    Do you think they got cold feet.

June

I think there is a requirement for the marriage to take place within a particular timescale - otherwise the fact that the parties are eligible may no longer be true.

I can't remember what it is without hunting. Is it in the Wiki?

I have a couple with the banns read but no sign of a marriage.
    Do you think they got cold feet.
    Were they both of the same parish? Or could the ceremony have happened in a different church?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think they must have been in the same parish as the banns were read in 1852 and on the 1851 census they were together as "husband and wife"

June

Comment

I'm pretty sure once the banns have been read that you have a timescale of 1 year, (either that or I dreamt it) thats for modern marriages though, I'm not sure if the timescale has changed or not.

re the banns, it might be that they had married in a neighbouring parish, as then is now, you have to have the banns published in both places, (the brides parish and the parish that you intend to be married in.)

'most' marriages tend to be in the brides parish, but not always!
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

In my wide perusals of the LMA records I have seen a set of banns crossed out and 'out of time' written beside it. I don't know what the timescale is though. Most often the banns are in the three weeks immediately before the wedding with the last reading being the day before or even, on some occasions, on the same day!

Anne

Comment

Marriage in England and Wales
            1. Publication of Banns
            Publication of banns, which simply means announcing aloud your intended marriage, is the traditional and preferred method used by most couples and is equivalent in timing to the civil method of getting married by certificate. The banns are published by being read aloud during the service on three successive Sundays preceding the ceremony. The congregation is invited to register objections, if they have any. It is usual for the couple to be in attendance on at least one of the three occasions when the banns are published.

If the couple live in different parishes or are getting married in a parish other than the one in which they are registered, the banns need to be published in both parishes. A certificate stating that the banns have been published will be issued by the church that will not be holding the ceremony. This certificate needs to be produced to the officiating minister before the ceremony can proceed. If the marriage does not go ahead within three months of the banns being published, the banns will have to be published again.
            Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine for that information. I suspect they didn't go ahead with it.

Thanks also to Anne and Darksecretz.

June

Comment

Working...
              X