Royal Navy Records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Navy Records?

My "xG/Gdad John O'Neill came over from Ireland sometime between 1829/36. The problem is, I don't know from where. All Census entries just say Ireland but not where!! My Sister has just remembered our Dad talking about his Cousin Samuel O'Neill visiting when home from sea, my Dad says Sam was in the Merchant Navy.
    I have searched the Census for a Samuel O'Neill and found one, a Stoker in the Royal Navy. in 1901 he was in the Med. on HMS Terpsichore, aged 19. A look at the 1911 still had him in the RN, aged 29, but as I don't subscribe thats all I know. My Dad was born in 1911!! So can Dad have got his navys mixed up? Oh! the 1891 Census put the family living in Liverpool.!! Sam was 8

My thoughts are, if Samuel IS one the same, if I could find Sam's Service record, is it possible it would give his and therefore the place he was born, ie,where the O'neill's came from??
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

There are three sets of records showing on the National Archives for a Samuel O'Neill
    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Search Results

- I think the date shown on each of them is the birth date.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi

The Samuel W O'Neil from the 1911 census shows as being single and born in Aphoe? Donegal.
      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
        Hi

The Samuel W O'Neil from the 1911 census shows as being single and born in Aphoe? Donegal.
        He seems to match with the first of the three listed on the National Archives site - Samuel Walter O'Neill, born 5 Sept 1881, Raphoe, Donegal
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X