very puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very puzzled

Hope some clever person can make sense of this for me.

1871 census RG15/655 page 21 has some of my Geary's living at 4 Johanna St, one of them Alfred age 28 seems to be shown as married, though cant find marriage for him at that point. his mother was Caroline Power Clark, there is a marriage in 1873 4 Aug. Trinity church between a Alfred Clark and a Nancy Sophie Blower. On RG15/655 page 17 there is a Nancy Blower but she is shown as a sister in law
    1881 census RG11/587 page 25 has an Alfred Geary and a Nancy living in Johanna St who are shown as married .
    what further makes it intriguing to me is later Nancey re marries but can not not find a death for Alfred, but then can not be sure if have right birth for him either.

hope thats understandable, was getting confused trying to explain it

1871 ref is RG10 etc.

I think the image says Unm. The abbreviations of mar for married, unm for unmarried and wid for widowed can often be misread because of the excessively florid writing used by enumerators.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

As for the later marriage - it might not be the same Nancy. Alfred may have been misindexed in the death indexes or he may have just left Nancy. Bigamy was relatively common when divorce was difficult to impossible to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        1871 ref is RG10 etc.

I think the image says Unm. The abbreviations of mar for married, unm for unmarried and wid for widowed can often be misread because of the excessively florid writing used by enumerators.
        The Henry Walker bit would have thought said widowed cant see that for the Alfred wording it looks same as father, and pretty sure its the same Nancy, dont understand how it works out though, understand bigamy took place but would have thought unlikely to happen in same street that family had lived in, even then it was illegal, have spent hours looking at it cant understand it at all

Comment

What don't you understand? Not sure where Henry Walker fits in either? The fact that bigamy was illegal didn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe people who knew (if it was bigamy) were sympathetic or didn't want to get involved or didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            What don't you understand? Not sure where Henry Walker fits in either? The fact that bigamy was illegal didn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe people who knew (if it was bigamy) were sympathetic or didn't want to get involved or didn't care.
            It all has happened in same street pretty much, would have thought that would rule out bigamy, think its probably something may never get to understand,

Comment

Re the 1871 census - for Nancy Blowers. Charles Pryer is married to Hannah. This is probably Hannahs second marriage and the 5 Blowers children were probably from her first marriage - they sometimes used the term daughter and son in law instead of step-son and step-daughter. Do you know of a previous marriage for Hannah?

Linda
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I'm probably going to make you more confused, and to sort things out will need a whole lot of certificates!

Nancy Sophia Blower married Alfred Clark as you say in 1873. They then used the name Geary. However it looks as though all the children were registered under the name Clark - there are entries at the right times for those names. but as it is a common name you would have to check. In March Quarter 1882 there is a death for Alfred Clark - the age is a couple of years out but might be worth checking. In June 1885 Nancy (using the name Ann) remarries James Manley (Jun Quarter) and is with him in the 1891 census with all 3 kids, who are now called Clark.

I couldn't see a marriage between Caroline Clark and James Geary, so Alfred would technically be Clark for all official events, even though he used the name Geary. So maybe no bigamy, but just a living together?

Linda

P.S. I agree with Little Nell, in that he is unmarried in 1871 - compare it with the Unm for John McMarne further up the page
                Last edited by ozgirl; 27-11-09, 00:07.
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                X