Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is marriage dissolved the same as divorced??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is marriage dissolved the same as divorced??

Received a marriage cert today, dated 1953, and it states the man's condition as "previous marriage dissolved", is this the same as divorced or is it different???
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Hello Paul

yes it means divorced.. I have this exact thing on my parents marriage certs..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie, thanks for the info, thought it was, just sounded funny seeing it written on a certificate...............how are you, hows the pain???.........Physio has been a killer for me, I've also got a lot of muscle wastage now and restricted movement on one of my shoulders
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

My father-in-law's marriage cert actually said "previously married to XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX, from whom he obtained a divorce"
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

An idle thought: would "marriage dissolved" also cover an annulment?

Peter

Comment

No, an annulment is not the same thing as a divorce. The new cert should say either "previous marriage annulled" or nothing at all, depending on the grounds for annulment.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              No, an annulment is not the same thing as a divorce. The new cert should say either "previous marriage annulled" or nothing at all, depending on the grounds for annulment.
              I think I'm right in saying that annulment creates (or arises from) a situation in which the marriage should never have happened in the first place (e.g. non-consummation or some legal defect), so the marriage becomes a non-event.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

Yes, that's correct - an annulment means that legally a marriage has never taken place, a divorce means it definitely did, lol!

However, when we discussed this topic before, we came upon the bizarre information that bigamous marriages have to be recorded as unnulled, even though no marriage took place legally.

I worked with a woman whose first marriage was annulled and I remember her being told that she could henceforth refer to herself as a spinster and would not be legally obliged to disclose the fact that she had been through a marriage ceremony.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X