Super Sleuths needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Sleuths needed

I can only find the McMenam family on the 1901 census and ever here they are spelt McMemin (piece 4730, folio 84, page 52). The head of the family is James born Newcastle, Northumberland 1869, wife Mary born 1869, Haswell Co Durham and children Ralph b. 1887 Heworth, Margaret b. 1890 Tyne Dock, Mary 1891 South Shields, Janet b 1897 Sunderland and James born 1898Sunderland. This James married Hannah Morley in 1915.

James senior is a coal miner which accounts for the moving around but I just cant find him on any other census and I can't find James junior on the 1911.

There is no birth for Ralph - I suspect child of Mary but maybe there was a first husband.

No marriage that I can see for James snr although I think I may have found a birth in 1869 in Newcastle.

It is a rare name certainly in Northumberland and Durham, with only two families found on the 1911 census. Even in Scotland there are few with this name and I currently think it originates in Ireland.

Can any one help. It's sending me loopy.

Thanks in advance :conf:

I think it is possible that Mary remarried -

Marriages Jun 1905
    DAGLISH Robert
    McMENNAM Mary
    Nicholson John Tones

O'Neill Mary Lizzie
    Gateshead 10a 1627

There is a James MacMenam b 1899 on the 1911 census, living in same household as Catherine 1902 and William 1904.
    There also seems to be a John and Mary Nicholson living there!
    Elaine

Comment

I've had a look but cannot find them other than on the 1901 census.
      GWEN

Comment

Thank you both for looking - I'll check out the 1911 census again using MacMennan. Can anyone suggest alternative spellings etc. I must admit that I wasn't sure how to spell it and with a broad accent it might be a little difficult.

Comment

Check out this 1891 census entry

- Ancestry.co.uk
          RG12; Piece: 4157; Folio 30; Page 54

Household
          John Oliver 33
          Mary Oliver 26
          Ralph C Oliver 3
          Margaret A Oliver 1

The details for Mary, Ralph and Margaret seem to match your 1901 census, so maybe John Oliver died and Mary remarried.
          Elaine

Comment

Possible marriage

Marriages Dec 1899
            Blythman Margaret Jane
            Callan George
            McKmenam James
            Oliver Mary

Sunderland 10a 1075
            Elaine

Comment

On here: Sunderland City Council
              that marriage shows as:
              Surname / Forename(s) / Year of Marriage
              MCKINENAN / James / 1899
              OLIVER / Mary / 1899

Unfortunately, http://online.gateshead.gov.uk/bmd/ doesn't have 1905 for marriages. The coverage shows:
              Marriages
              * 1845 to 1862
              * 1864 to 1866
              * 1870 to 1896
              * 1991 to 1993
              * 1995 to 2005

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Fantastic - I will check it all out. Guess I may have been on the right track with Mary being married at least twice. So James was elsewhere! I'm beginnning to wonder if he was in the army as it runs in the family. I'd still suspect that the name McMenam (or variations) is going to make it very difficult to find.

I had a quick look on family trees on Ancestry - there is a James Mcmennan born 1868 Newcastle with a family but there is no backup information so I've been searching for other info, but no luck yet.

Still, its a wonderful start

Thank you again

Comment

This could be James in 1881 - transcribed as Mc Menern - occupation Coal Miner

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
                  RG11; Piece: 4921; Folio: 108; Page: 24;
                  Elaine

Comment

.. and this could be James in the 1891 census, transcribed as Mc Minniner

- Ancestry.co.uk
                    RG12; Piece: 4106; Folio 81; Page 23
                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine

Thank you so much - I shall investigate further - All the help on this sie is wonderful. I just went round in circles today looking for James snr.

All the best

Comment

Thank you all so much - I've found there were two James McMenams on born about 1893 one 1898. I'll have another good look later today but you have all given me extra info. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X