Latin Terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin Terms

I have today received from a Roman Catholic Church details of a Wedding in 1896 in Manchester.
    The Bride is listed Ann Morton "delictam" Thomas Morton. Normally this would say "filiam" meaning Daughter of.
    Does anybody know what "delictam" means.

No doubt someone more familiar with Latin than me will know for sure, but according my dictionary 'delict' is a transgression or misdemeanour - could she be illegitimate?

Comment

Thanks for that.
      You could well be correct because the local BMD shows 2 names for her CURRAN and MORTON. I assumed that she had been married before, but it may be one is her mothers name and the other her fathers.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      No doubt someone more familiar with Latin than me will know for sure, but according my dictionary 'delict' is a transgression or misdemeanour - could she be illegitimate?

Comment

delictam seems to be a verb of delicto, and Ex delicto means caught in the act, so I would agree, it probably means illegitimate

Comment

Thanks Barbara looks like that is the course for me to follow.

Comment

Unless it's a mistranscription of Relictam? That would be relict/widow.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Holcan

you might find something useful from our wiki page on this

Translations - Family Tree Forum
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

LancsBMD 1891:
                CURRAN Annie / MORTON Thomas / Manchester, Ancoats, All Souls / Manchester ref 15/3/280
                In FreeBMD as 1891q1.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

How old was Annie? There's a death of a Thomas Morton, 22, in 1893q1 registered in Manchester.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine & Dark Secret,

Looks like Ann was married before and that "delictam" should read "relictam" ie Widow.

Thanks for all your help
                    Holcan

Comment

Anne was born c1872 so it all fits

Comment

Holcan,

I think you are right: "delictam" would be a reasonable alternative to "relictam" i.e. "[woman] left behind".

Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X