Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 help please

Cannot find this family anywhere and going boss-eyed:conf:

William St George b. about 1885 and his brother Frederick (or Henry/Harry Frederick) St George b about 1884 are on the 1901 with their stepmother Matilda in Mile End, London. Their father Harry St George died in 1900.

Harry St George was a coachman in 1899 (according to daughter Grace's baptism record). At that time they were living in Bromley By Bow/Tower Hamlets.

In 1911 William is an undertaker's coachman b.1887 in Bow
    and Frederick is also an undertaker's coachman b. 1885 in Woodford

I have been trying to find William, Harry and Frederick and hopefully their mother in the 1891 census without any luck. this family are a bit fluid with their age and birth places.

Any help with this slippery crowd gratefully received
    JANE

Think I've found them in 1891 and Williams birth - The 1891 only gives surname as George but it looks like them.

Births Mar 1887
    ST GEORGE William Beard Poplar 1c 620

- Ancestry.com
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The death for Fanny is more difficult from 1891 to 1901 though - there is this one but the age is out -

Deaths Jun 1900
      St George Frances 44 Kensington 1a 85

and this one but the place is wrong and the age isn't quite right -

Deaths Sep 1896 - St George Frances Fanny 37 Chippenham 5a 32

Comment

If that is the right family in 1891 this is the birth of little Emily -

Births Jun 1890
        St George Emily Minnie Poplar 1c 605

Comment

And this looks like Harry Frederick -

Births Dec 1884
          St George Harry Frederick W. Ham 4a 263

Comment

And this looks like their marriage -

Marriages Mar 1884
            Beard Fanny Mile End 1c 775
            ST GEORGE Henry Mile End 1c 775

Comment

Wow - just shows what some fresh eyes can do off to check further. Thanks Chrissie

Comment

You're welcome Jane :smilee:

Comment

p.s. I don't want to spoil your searches but I meant to say that her age in 1891 may not be quite truthful. She may have knocked a couple of years off to appear the same age as her husband :Wink:

Comment

Chrissie
                    I think you're right - it appears that Emily the daughter died aged 6 in 1896 in London. I've found Fanny's marriage where her father name is Thomas and probably her baptism in Yatton Keynall (just ouside Chippenham)Wilts. I'm going for the Chippenham death.
                    In my scenario she's overcome with grief at death of daughter and goes home to Mum and Dad and dies there. (Also more convenient to die before 1898) as husband has new child with earlier mentioned Matilda.
                    Think I'd better go before imagination run rife ---oops too late;0

Now to sort out Henry St George who says he's born in Stamford Lincolnshire where according to Freebmd no St Georges were born - plenty of Georges but none in Stamford aaaaargh. This man is driving me mad!
                    JANE
                    Think I'd better do some housework!!!

Comment

If it's any consolation you have come to the same conclusion as me :Big Grin:
                      I didn't want to spoil any searching for you but I popped back to see if you came up with the same thought about the death i.e. going back home and dying there.

I also hit the same problem with Henry. I couldn't find the most likely birth either - sorry.

p.s. I meant to also say that I found possible Fanny Beard on various census and she was always a couple of years older than she was supposed to be
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-11-09, 10:21.

Comment

I have been looking at this all morning because I'm hoping I haven't put you on the wrong track with that 1891 census.
                        I can't find a marriage for Henry/Harry to a Matilda between 1896 and 1901.
                        Have you found their marriage?
                        What name before marriage is given to Matilda on Grace's birth cert?
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-11-09, 11:25.

Comment

Hello Chrissie - thanks for your perserverance on this one - Henry/Harry St George/George is certainly a slippery character. If you can find a St George/George marriage to Matilda I will then officially declare you a genius.
                          Her maiden name is Robson - I haven't got Grace's birth cert but Grace's baptism is on the LMA. Matilda is back with her parents in 1901 after Harry's death (seperate household but in same house) with 2 children from union with Henry/Harry, William and Frederick whom we've now found in 1891 and is very pregnant with Violet who is born in Jun quarter 1901. Matilda's age is transcribed incorrectly (ie she's down as the same age as her mother). She goes on to marry Alfred Hathaway in 1904 (father's name on marriage cert is John Robson, while she is St George)
                          Hope I've not bored you to tears
                          jjj

Comment

Jane

I think I have found him in 1871 with his mother. It states his middle name as H but looking at the image it looks like St. to me,

see what you think..

- Ancestry.co.uk
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh well done Julie - I should definitely say it's St not H :smilee:

Not boring at all Jane - I just wish we could solve it. I can't find a Henry to Robson marriage but I wonder if she could have been born Robson but married before - or have I lost the plot :Big Grin:

Comment

Oooh Thanks for that Julie,
                                it certainly looks like St george to me and that means thatwe have Henry St George born about 1862 in Stamford, Lincolnshire both in 1871 and 1891 but his birth doesn't seem to have been registered:(
                                Where next? Off to look at 1881

Comment

thing is though Jane, although it says stamford Lincs, and stanford Leics, Stamford is quite close to the Leics/Rutland border, so it might be either.
                                  Julie

Comment

Oh piffle - it's so frustrating because I have to log off and I'm in full flight :Big Grin: All I have managed to do is save all the census I can lay my hands on for reference and found this possible death for Matilda?

I still can't find Henry/Harry birth and I can't find a marriage :(

Deaths Jun 1911
                                    Hathaway Matilda M 52 St. Olave 1d 79

Comment

working on the 71 census that I found, I have a possible 1861 now, with hubby and son George H gives POB as St. Martins Northants, (this is probably St. Martins Without.. Just outside STAMFORD :smilee:

- Ancestry.co.uk
                                      Julie

Comment

this might be emilys death

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

and possibly emily in the 1891 cens:

- Ancestry.co.uk
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X