Phillis Farrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillis Farrow

William Farrow b. 1817 in South Shields marries Phillis Langley b. abt 1822 also from South Shields in Dec. quarter 1844. Apart from 1851, can anyone find her in any other census.

There is a death for a William Farrow in South Shields mar quarter 1851, and a death for a Phyllis Farrow aged 70 in South Shields, Jun quarter 1899, but I can not find anything between 1851 and 1899.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Daughter, Mary Jane, seems to be with aunt & uncle PEACE in Westoe in 1861.
    RG9/3790 fo 60 p 31

I suspect that the death may be the baby (1-year-old in 1851), because he doesn't seem to show up in 1861.

The South Tyneside site (Register Office | South Tyneside) reckons the marriage was 22 Dec 1844.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

OOh thank you Christine - I hadn't found Mary Jane, and the aunt and Uncle mentioned seem to tie in very nicely as William sr. had a sister Hannah exactly that age. Off to scour freebmd for the marriage details. I wonder where William and Phillis have wandered off to then ?

Linda

P.S. Thank you for the marriage date too - I've been looking under Durham records, never thought to look at South Tyneside - afraid I don't know that area too well.
      Linda

Comment

There's another William FARROW death registered in South Shields in 1863q4 - and it is in the Westoe part of the area, according to the South Tyneside site.

The 1899 Phyllis FARROW death has estim DoB as 1829, and is the South Shields part of the area - not Westoe.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hannah's marriage seems to have been 1853q3 South Shields to Robert PEASE... on 25 July 1853 according to the South Tyneside site.

Christine

Comment

Thanks again - from the amount of entries in the census, I gather Westoe is a reasonably large area. I'll have to get up the courage to trawl through them all for 1861. I know the DOB for Phyllis was slightly out, but couldn't find any other that might fit. The only other death for a Phillis in Durham was for a baby.

I'm having trouble thinking straight now - time for bed I think.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Have you found this batch on the IGI: C008209 ? (Phillis Langley)
              and see 1841 HO107/298/4 fo 36 p 66

or this one: C013183? (Mary Jane Farrow)

And there's one private tree on Ancestry with a William FARROW, Birth: 1817 - South Shields, Durham

Christine

Comment

The 1829 / 1899 death for Phyllis could be the correct one if, perhaps, she'd moved out of the immediate area for some reason. It depends how much the informant knew about her when registering the death.

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine for the link to the south Tyneside - I have spent a very productive afternoon tracking down the dates of my Farrows marriages, and as an extra bonus have found the marriage for one of them that has obviously been mistranscribed on freeBMD as it is completely missing from there!

(still looking for Phillis tho')

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                    Thank you Christine for the link to the south Tyneside - I have spent a very productive afternoon tracking down the dates of my Farrows marriages, and as an extra bonus have found the marriage for one of them that has obviously been mistranscribed on freeBMD as it is completely missing from there!

(still looking for Phillis tho')

Linda
                    Delighted to help!

There are quite a number of Local BMD sites; have a look on UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census Transcriptions On-line for UK Family History and Genealogy
                    That site will also point out that some BMD events never made it from the Local to the General RO lists. Mistranscriptions, as well as omissions, can be a problem in that context. (My own marriage had my maiden name mistranscribed on the GRO index!)

Christine

Comment

I have just picked this up. I think Mary Jane Farrow sounds as if she could belong to my family tree if she was born in Fryerning (ot Ingatestone) Essex. I shall be grateful for any feedback.

LesNo1

Comment

Hi LesNo1, all my Farrows were born in the Newcastle/Durham area, none of them managed to get down to Essex, so probably not related unfortunately.
                        Linda

Comment

Hello Linda,

Thanks for your reply, a shame we aren't on the same line. My Essex Farrows have disappeared from view, possibly to Suffolk, where they remain out of my sight.

Good luck with your searches.

Les

Comment

Working...
                          X