Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Please

Hi,

I have found a death record on the Queensland BMD website, for a Eva Lockton.

On the record it says the following:

Eva Lockton, Fathers name -Lockton, Mothers name Rebecca Ward. ** Born England aged 20 years.

Does the born in England and age refer to Eva?

I have found a birth record for an Eva Minckley Lockton 1893 Grantham Lincolnshire.

And there is a passenger record for an Eva Lockton leaving London and arriving Brisbane 1910.

If the death record age is for Eva, then I think the Eva M Lockton born Grantham is the Eva who died 1913 in Queensland.

Also, my 3x Great Grandparents were Harry Muir Lockton and Rebecca Lockton nee Ward.

Rebecca and Harry had daughter Emma 1890 in Sheffield. On the 1891 census Harry is boarding in Yorkshire and Rebecca and Emma are living with Rebecca's sister in Grantham Lincolnshire.

I can't find any trace of Rebecca and Harry on the 1901, Emma is still living with her aunt in Lincolnshire.

Rebecca Lockton dies in Yorkshire in 1906 and on her dc it states she is the widow of Harry Lockton, but I can't find a death for Harry.

I think that Eva may be Rebecca's daughter, or do you think I could be wrong? :conf:

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

P.S Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by Kelly; 25-11-09, 20:29.

Hi Kelly

Sounds a likely match - yes the age is Eva's age - I have seen some entries like that in the QLd indexes, sometimes in place of parents names as they were not reported for the death certificate. The only way to be sure would be to get the full certifcates for both birth and death.

Her QLD death cert should give full parents names, place of birth, how long in Queensland, which should all help build a picture of who she was - did the Eva Lockton you found come to Qld on her own or with family ?

You might be able to find her burial in the Brisbane cemetery indexes, which are on-line, but it probably won't tell you any more than you know now.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Di,

Thank you for your help.

A kind lady looked the passenger record up for me, and Eva went to Brisbane on her own. On the record it states she was 16 and a domestic servant, and she travelled with lots of other domestic servants.

I think I will order the birth cert first to see if Eva's parents are who I think they are. I just need to work out where the Minkley are on the tree.

I think that Harry and Rebecca wasn't together on the 1901, I'm wondering if Rebecca may of had a relationship with a man with the surname Minkley who is Eva's father. It is all very confusing!

Thank you again for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry Di, I meant to say that I have checked the online Brisbane cemetery records, but unfortunately I can't find her burial.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Kelly

re the name Minkley, several of my ancestors and their rellies have their grandmothers maiden name (both paternal and maternal) as their middle name, rather than their mothers maiden name. Its a good reinforcement that you are on the right track !!

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Di,

I know the name Minkley isn't on the Lockton side, I will have a look at the Wards again. I don't think I have found Rebecca's mothers maiden name.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi - this is a good site for Queensland
              Indexes for Queensland Genealogy - a Select List
              Also - if you feel she was still in the Brisbane area - search the Brisbane cemetery database with Eva, Eve, Eva M or Eve M..and use the initial list to search.
              If you're confident she died in 1913, she might come up as another surname.. e.g I saw an Eva Mary and the surname showed as Williams.
              The Qld BMD site is having problems at the moment...I was trying to see if it gave a location where she died...do you recall what it said?
              (Over the past weekend, the Registry had technical issues relating to the release of the databases online. The Registry and staff apologise for these delays and appreciate your understanding)

In case she is in South Brisbane Cemetery -

Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery;
              Need information for your family history research? When it comes to the cemetery, our researchers are the most knowledgable people around, and the FOSBC holds the following records and research materials:

- full list of South Brisbane Cemetery interments
              - full list of South Brisbane Cemetery monumental inscriptions
              - extensive collection of local history publications about the local area
              ***** photographs of all South Brisbane Cemetery graves*****

Our records are often more reliable than the Brisbane City Council records.

FOSBC volunteers donate their time for research on behalf of genealogists and historians. Monetary donations to our group are welcome as we are a not-for-profit group, and any donations you make go back into helping us maintain the cemetery and conduct further research.

Send us an email with your name and contact details, and as many details as you can provide about the person you are looking for (name, date of death, etc). We will get back to you ASAP.
              Last edited by naomiatt; 26-11-09, 04:41.

Comment

Hi Naomiatt,

Thank you for your reply, it is truly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the QLD BMD site doesn't give a location of where she died. The only details it has is her name, fathers surname, mothers full name and Eva's age and she was born in England.

Thank you for the 2 links I will go and have a look.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                X