Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers

I am researching generally the City of London, which comprised in the 18th century a mass of tiny and interlocked - and sometimes intrudeded parishes .
    I cannot find a really good map that shows them down to street level.
    Can anyone that has a copy The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers if this is going to help ? I do not mind spending £30 for something usefull but need to know first!
    Any advice or comments welcome

Has your library got a copy you could look at before buying one for yourself. I believe our Local History floor of our main library has one, but it will be for research on site only as it is a reference book.

Comment

This will give you a pretty good idea:

Booth Poverty Map & Modern map (Charles Booth Online Archive)

And there are other links to maps of London on this wiki page:

London And Middlesex - Family Tree Forum

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The Phillimore Atlas is good for showing the location of the parishes within the city. Its City of London map shows the parish boundaries superimplosed over major roads. These road names are given I think (but in such small print that I can't read them!) For other road names you'd need other maps such as the Booth ones.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have always looked at the Phillimore Atlas in the reference Library of my local library. If they have not got one, then pester them to purchase one! Then you are able to photocopy the relevant pages you require, but not the whole book!! Otherwise that breaches copyright! There is so much % of a book you can photocopy, but I have never wanted more than about 10 pages which should suit most people. Once photocopied you can then
          enlarge the parish/parishes of interest to you, and copy again and then you should find them quite readable. I have done this for all my parishes of interest, and then take the copies with me to the County Record Offices where and when required.

Janet

Comment

Many thanks. Sounds worth proceding further . I have the MOTCO 1799 Horwood map on CD so I can locate the old street names and superimpose on the major roads - although in my experiece thats easier said than done. early 19th century development, the Luftwaffe and late twentieth century developers have altered at least 50% of the map. Can anyone send me for evaluation a JPEG of the relevent page ?

Incidentally if anyone wants help for locations in the 18th century in London, i can find my around the streets then better than I can now ! But not by parish .

Comment

You may find something useful here - there is a map of London parishes amongst others.
              MAPCO : London and Environs Maps and Views

Comment

Working...
              X