Windows Messenger help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Messenger help please

I am very confused and need advice please.
    Ever since my daughter came and used my computer to log in to her e-mails - which are on live.co.uk I have a problem. Every time I go into Outlook express to check my e-mails 2 boxes come up - one is a sign in box (that won't sign in) and on top of that is a smaller box saying 'Type the name you want your contacts to see' Display name required - do not type your e-mail address etc.

I have asked her for her e-mail addy and password to try and remove it but that isn't working either. I can only find our e-mail address in the boxes that come up :conf:

It's driving me mad - can anyone help please?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

p.s. Can I safely remove Windows Messenger. I have removed msn and I wonder if that's the only thing I use it for? What else might it remove please?

Comment

Windows Messenger is a different thing to Windows Live Messenger. The former is a built in to Windows thing and the other is a download.

WM is a flipping nuisance and will keep popping up when you fire up the pooter unless you kill it off, so to speak. In XP, what to do is, go into the Start Menu and look for "Program Access and Control". If you don't have that, don't panic, you can get at it via the Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs.

Click on "Add/Remove Windows Components". Look down the list and take the tick out of Windows Messenger. Click on ok and job is done. It won't appear again.

The other is removed in much the same way. Go back to the Add/Remove Programs" and find Windows Live Messenger (it might just say Live Messenger). Click once on the program in the list. And click the Change/Remove button on the right of the line. Jus t follow the few steps and it's gone.

If you haven't already got it, go to download.com and download CrapCleaner/CCleaner. It's a brilliant program that tidies up for you, especially your Windows Registry files. Whenever you move things, uninstall things etc., wee bits can get left all over the place and this program sorts that put for you. It's safe and free from bugs. Run both the cleaner and the issues parts and you'll be nice and tidy. If there's anything in your recycle bin, I'd advise emptying that first as although CC will do that for you too, it seems to take ages to work through the bin.

None of the above will muck up your pooter. If you daughter wants to check her Windows Live Mail again, then she can simply type hotmail.com into the browser address box and login from there. It opens all the types @hotmail.com, @hotmail.co.uk, @live.co.uk etc. That's how I do it.

Hope that helps. If you're on Vista, I assume the instructions will be the roughly same once you've found your equivalent of the Control Panel.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 25-11-09, 17:46.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply GL :smilee:

I have now got rid of it and I have made a note of that programme.
        She can check her e-mails at home in future :Big Grin:

Comment

Does this programme 'CrapCleaner/CCleaner' ask lots of odd questions while running. The sort I mean are boxes that pop up where I think I should say 'YES' and infact it should be 'NO'.
          One example is when I copy my pictures to the external hard drive. Things like Power Point keep asking me if I want to copy without Properties or Skip? that is a real Sudoko Type puzzle to me.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

no Margaret it just cleans your pc just make sure your cookies are unticked unless you dont mind adding your passwords to sites again

Comment

Working...
            X