James Teasdale Allinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Teasdale Allinson

There's a 20 year gap I can't seem to fill.
    Information I have is fairly extensive but I can't find anything from the 1871 to 91

Born 1843 in Leeds
    Married Mary Smith in Leeds
    Died 1909 in Leeds

He's caught my interest by his apparent change of career every 10 years
    1861 Living with parents John and Eliza at Sheepscar Buildings - Whitesmith
    1871 Living in Bramham. Described as Police Officer No.100
    1881 MISSING
    1891 Publican of the Glassmakers Arms in Greyhound Street, N.E. Leeds
    1901 Whitesmiths bellhanger still living in Greyhound Street

2 of his children were born in Scarborough
    Ethel 1879
    Willie 1882

A fairly safe bet then that he was in Scarborough in 1881 but I can't find him or any member of his family in any search for that year
    Anybody got any ideas plee..a..se
    Grahame::conf::conf::F

They're down with their first intial and surname Allanson. Husband is a whitesmith and wife is a lodging house keeper. The daughter and son in law (surname Baxter) are also at the address - Vernon Cottage, Scarborough

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

Do you have Ancestry UK? If not I'll post more details
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie. That's brilliant!!
      I do have ancestry - in fact I'm sure I did an alternative spelling search so I'll give myself nil points for undue diligence. I'm just going to check now but I'm quietly confident.
      I'll get back once I've checked
      Many thanks
      Grahame

Comment

Hi again Jackie
        Yes I've checked that on Findmypast as Ancestry is very slow on my computer.
        I was thrown at first because they were transcribed as being born in Leeds, Kent but as soon as I checked the original inage it was just Leeds - the transcriber had made a false assumption.
        All points check. Their daughter Hannah was indeed born at Shadwell and now I know whom she married and the name of one child I can search on and add the information to my tree. There is one puzzle but it may be a mistake by the census taker. Ethel is listed as James' grandaughter but in 1891 she is there as their daughter. It could be that she was Hannah's illegitimate daughter but I won't spend all day speculating and the relationship isn't close enough to warrant a birth certificate.
        Once again many thanks

Comment

You're welcome.

The usual tricks for finding them didn't work for me but its lucky that their surname begins with A. In the end I searched for born 1843 + or - 1, place of birth Rawdon (the wife's pob on 1891) and no names.

I noticed about the daughter / granddaughter but thought it was probably an assumption by the enumerator. You may be right about her being Hannah's daughter
          Jackie

Comment

Working...
          X