What now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now?

My great grandmother's brother, Thomas Gillan was married to a lady called Margaret Buchanan Burns born c1854 in New Monkland, Lanarkshire. They had two children, James Burns Gillan, and Elizabeth Buchanan Gillan. Not knowing how to progress further back with Margaret, I had a look on the IGI site, I turned up two James Burns married to Elizabeth Buchanan. One in Barony and one in Cambuslang.
    I have taken a note of the numbers connected to both these entries and my question is - what do I do now?
    Thank you in anticipation
    Wee Ann

Hi Ann - if you apply for the marriage cert for Thomas and Margaret, that should provide the name of her father. Sorry, I don't have access to pay sites to do more.

Comment

Had a quick look on Scotlands people - no sign of a Gillan-Burns marriage there on the statutory marriages 1855 - 2006

Comment

No sign either of a birth for Margaret on the Old Parish Records or the Statutory register of Births before 1860 - Scotlandspeople

Comment

There's a Thomas Gillin Margaret Burns marriage in Lanark 1872.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

There is a Margaret Burns, parents James Burns and Elizabeth Buchanan, IGI extracted record for 29 April 1855, Shettleston.
            If it is the correct one (and in Scotland the middle name was frequently the mother's maiden name) then well worth getting the cert as 1855 certs hold more info than any others.
            However - I can't find the Gillan/Burns marriage either and I can't find a death of a Mgt with the name Gillan, other name Burns.
            Perhaps we need to take a step back and confirm more recent info

The 2 marriage entries you mention are probably for the same couple - OPR entries are usually of the proclamation of the intent to marry. f the couple lived in different parishes then they would have to have their Banns read in both parishes, hence the 2 entries.

Off to have another look.

Edit - Just read your mail Gillian. The child's birth entry may have the date and place of the parents marriage. I will look for your spelling, thanks.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There are 4 possible deaths for a Margaret Gillin but non seem to be in Lanark.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you all so much for replying.
                I have not yet found the actual marriage for Thomas and Margaret either, and the deaths would not be in Scotland as the family all came to Australia. I have the transcription of Thomas's death in Sydney 1914. This gave me Margaret and the children's full names, which I had problems finding in Scotland (We thought we were the first of the family to settle in Aust. and then discovered these ones had beaten us to it!)
                I haven't yet found Margaret's death, as this would give me her parent's names for sure, but I think she lived quite a few years longer than Thomas.
                The 1872 marriage could be the one, as the daughter Elizabeth, I have down for being born in 1873. (?) (I have found several spellings of the Gillan name over my researches.)
                I am fascinated with this couple and would love to know more of their story.
                Thanks again everyone for your interest and help.
                Ann

Comment

Hello Ann
                  Do you have an idea where Thomas is buried? Margaret might be there as well - also,
                  these are on NSW BMD - would any of them match up?
                  Registration Number Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District
                  15179/1929 GILLAN MARGARET CORNELIUS ANN J MARRICKVILLE
                  16871/1928 GILLAN MARGARET THOMAS BRIDGET SYDNEY

Comment

Just a thought, Ann. When you get information from death certificates, it's what the informant thinks they know. So the Gillan/Gillin thing may be how the death informant thought it was spelt.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thomas is buried in Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney. The transcription is very informative and includes his parent's names and where he was born, his occupation, children's names and their ages at the time of his death, and his home address, all this was provided by his wife of many years, so there is no reason doubt its accuracy. It even tells you the name of the undertaker, and the minister who buried him!
                      I have been advised (through another source) that Margaret and the children are probably buried in Sandgate Cemetery in Newcastle, but unfortunately, information on Sandgate has not been published yet.
                      I do understand about the spelling thing Uncle John, and have not discounted anything on account of the spelling being different. I have found Gillon, and Gillin as well as Gillen and the one I usually stick with and use myself is Gillan.
                      Thanks again
                      Ann

Comment

Hi Ann - are you able to visit a library who has access to these records?
                        Sandgate Cemetery, Newcastle, N.S.W., index to burials, 1881-1985 [microform] | National Library of Australia Sandgate Cemetery burials, 1881-1985.
                        Reading through some other forums, they might be able to tell you over the phone -
                        116 Maitland Rd
                        Sandgate NSW 2304
                        (02) 4968 3602

Comment

Ann - a bout of insomnia combined with my insatiable curiosity and some soon to expire credits on ScotlandsPeople led me to look up Elizabeth's birth and, from that, her parents' marriage. There's a twist to the tale - I'll pm you!
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                          X