Married to each other twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married to each other twice

In the summer I sent for Mary Lawrence & Frederic Moore's marriage cert, they were married 26 May 1855 @ St Mary, Haggerston, her brother Alexander was a witness and as was a Thomas Moore.

Now the LMA have put so many marriges online I now find they had previously married at St Marylebone by licence 30 Jul 1854 (Frederic is an auctioneer, which is what their son of the same name became)

- Ancestry.co.uk

Can anyone read Maria the witness surname? Or suggest what was going on having 2 weddings?
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-11-09, 06:11. Reason: typo

I'm a bit confused about the dates? You say "previously married" but the date you give is AFTER the first date?? :conf:

The marriages for St Mary Haggerston do appear to be on Ancestry but there isn't one for your couple. I looked at the actual pages and there isn't any marriage on 26 May 1854 at St Mary Haggerston. There are marriages on May 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 1 June and 4th June.

One comment I could make about marriages (I've looked at a LOT for my one name study :emb is that I have occasionally seen certificates made out and the crossed through with cancelled On at least one occasion it said the banns had been 'irregular' and in fact the marriage took place a couple of months later.

Anne

Comment

March or Marsh?????????
      jjj

Comment

I have Nov 1811 (Licence) and Sep 1812 (Banns) marriages for OH's Gx3-g-parents, in the same church.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I presume the 2nd marriage that you have the cert for was in 1855.

On the one in 1854, the 2 witnesses are also named as witnesses on the marriage on the left hand side, which was also by licence. Could be that the couple didn't have their own witnesses.

I notice that Mary Lawrence was a minor in 1854. Again I'm guessing but perhaps her family didn't approve and that's why the marriage was by licence and family members weren't witnesses. The 2nd wedding being by banns and the fact that her family were present suggests that they may now have come round to the idea.

Did they give the same address as one another and were they bachelor and spinster on the 2nd marriage?
          Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            I'm a bit confused about the dates?
            Sorry, typing error, have amended to 1855, I couldn't find the Haggerston marriage on Ancestry by searching for their names, I bought the cert beore the LMA records came out.

Thanks for your thoughts norwayjane, I'm on the track of the other witness next as Thomas William Bradbury sounds more traceable than Maria. I guess that the licence for the first marriage if it exists might tell me something.

Night Owl., they both give the same address, Cumberland St. Both fathers are deceased, (it's actualy her father William Lawrence my direct ancestor who I was originally interested in as he seems to have died just before the 1841 census & was hoping there might have been a less vague profession)
            Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-11-09, 06:27.

Comment

re the witness' names they are probably clerks or something, as they do appear on the other page as witness' to another couple. Re the licence, did they have any bonds do you know? it might tell you more if there were any.

I have my gt x2 grandparents marrying twice, in different churches, but I think that was more to do with her being a catholic and him being a soldier.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ah! The reason we can't find the Haggerston marriage on Ancestry is that they seem to have stopped filming at the end of a book of certificates. The last one in the book is 18 January 1855. So that explains that bit of the mystery!

Anne

Comment

Anne f I hadn't coughed up my £7 I'd never have know about this little conundrum:Big Grin:

It's likely to be several months before I can get to London & find out more about the licence, so will put it on the back burner for now, but thanks for your input everybody.

Comment

Working...
                  X