Searchable death index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searchable death index

Has anybody seen or heard anything about when ancestry is planning to add the searchable by person deaths?

There is no time scale given on the Ancestry web site which says:

Death Indexes 1837-1983
    We’re still in the process of transcribing deaths between 1916 and 1983 – and these will be available as soon as we’re finished. But at the moment your search result for these years will show you the relevant index page. Once you’ve opened the image you can then scroll down and look for your ancestor’s name on the page.

For some reason I was under the impression that they had said they would be released late 2009 or early 2010 ... but I can´t remember where I read that!
    Elaine

Comment

Found it...

So Ancestry has taken the bold step of commissioning an "every name" transcript of all GRO indexes from 1916 – 2005. Births and Marriages are already online and the index of deaths for the same period will be ready to search by the end of 2009. The transcribed Birth index took 400,000 man-hours (that’s 187 years!) to transcribe and has added almost 62.8 million extra records to the 71 million already made available through the partnership with FreeBMD. And Ancestry is the only place on the internet where they’re available all in one place and fully searchable by name.

... so hopefully not long to wait!! :Wink:
      Elaine

Comment

We know what we'll all be doing on Christmas day then, don't we....searching the Ancestry records!:Big Grin:
        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

wonder if I can break my cooker ??? ummmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Smith Too View Post
            We know what we'll all be doing on Christmas day then, don't we....searching the Ancestry records!:Big Grin:
            Well last Christmas we had the beta version of the 1911 census, so it would be nice to have something different this year! :Big Grin:
            Elaine

Comment

I've persuaded my parentsto by me some parish record CDs for Christmas. I'll be going stir crazy by teatime!
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

That's what I thought I'd read somewhere too Elaine but it's getting kinda close to the end of 2009 and I hadn't had a marketing email from them so I wondered if they were putting it back or not.

Here's hoping it goes according to plan, I for one, will be dead busy LOL

Comment

The quote above is from the Ancestry web site ... so let's hope it's true! :smilee:
                  Elaine

Comment

I knew I had seen somewhere where it said the end of 2009 and I didn't read it on the site. So I think it must have been on one of their newsletters too.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

They seem quite keen on 'sneaking' things onto the website these days, don't they? I think they are afraid of a massive rush if they make a big announcement to everyone. It was quite a while before I got an email from them about the LMA records.

Anne

Comment

Every time they make a significant addition, the site goes belly-up for a day or two. Just imagine what will happen when the indexed deaths go live. The boy with the noose will be on everyone's screen, assuming you can log in at all.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I can't get into Ancestry now. Its always the same every morning between 11:00 and 14:00.

Comment

How odd. I had no problem.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It must be my fault - I've been in and out of Ancestry from 10am until about 15 mins ago :emb: :tong:

Anne

Comment

I thought that they were doing maintneance this morning? or was that earlier in the week?
                                Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                X