Stuck - Anyone have an idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck - Anyone have an idea

I have the birth certificate for William John Milsom born Bedminster, Bristol on 14th May 1853.

No father is listed - the mother is shown as Elizabeth Milsom.

I can find no record of the family in the 61 or 71 census records.

William married in 73 in Wales and was back in Bedminster by 1877

Can anyone see a record for him and his mother in 61 or 71

I wonder if his mother married and they are listed under the married name in following censuses.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you looked for a possible marriage for Elizabeth Milsom?
      If she did marry it is possible that William is listed under the stepfather's surname.
      Elaine

Comment

Snap UJ. :smilee:
        Elaine

Comment

G m t a !!
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've got a bit of a theory here but it needs a lot more investigation.

There's a marriage of an Elizabeth Milsom in Bristol in 1855, possible husband Charles Dunn.

In the 1861 census there is a Charles & Elizabeth Dunn (mistranscribed as Dann) with three children, the oldest of which is William who would have been born previous to the marriage if this is the right couple.

RG9; Piece: 1714; Folio: 101; Page: 7

In 1871 William is no longer with the family, but this could be him as a lodger.

RG10; Piece: 2523; Folio: 73; Page: 2

Maybe William used his stepfather's surname before he was married but reverted to his birth surname on marriage.

Jane

Comment

thank you very much indeed - that is a very good theory.

The 71 census record has him born in Bedminster (as per william milsom birth certificate) - a search shows no Dunn's born in Bedminster between 51 to 55.

Also Elizabeth was 15 when she had him according to the 61 census record - so that could explain why no father listed on the birth certificate.

However there were 4 William Dunn's born 53 - 55 in Bristol so I shall be ordering the birth certs to make sure the mother is not Elizabeth.

Thanks again for your work on this - its a big help.

Comment

Working...
              X