Liverpool; newspaper lookup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Liverpool; newspaper lookup please

Could anyone with access to newspaper archives from Liverpool, look up a marriage announcement for me from 1883, please.

14th April 1883 at St Andrew's Church Liverpool, John Henry Johnson and Kate Youlden.

I'm helping a distant relative with a different line of his ancestors. I found the marriage announcement in the Argus newspaper, Melbourne, Australia.
    John Henry is the son of Captain John Johnson, and we're trying to find out more about him, since he's a mariner he's not on any census. I'm hoping a UK marriage announcement might have more information.

Many thanks.
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Hello,
    looked up online newspapers for Youlden for April 1883 and came up with this announcement in the North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales) 21st April 1883
    " Johnson - Youlden - on the 14th inst, at St Andrew's Church, Renshaw -street, Liverpool, by the Rev. Canon Lefroy, M.A., John Henry, second son of Captain John Johnson, of Liverpool, to Kate (Queenie), third daughter of mr E. Youlden, of Hawthorn, Melbourne, Australia"
    Maybe this is of use............
    jjj

Comment

Now thats interesting Jane, & many thanks, its almost word for word the same announcement as in the Melbourne Argus, but the Aus. one says Captain John Johnson "of this town"............which I was assuming was of the town of Melbourne, so therefore assumed he had settled in Australia....we might have to switch continents to research.
      ~ Louise ~

Comment

Have a look on here Louise....might find something :smilee:

Old Mersey Times
        Jacky

Comment

Have you already got these baptisms from Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project - ?

Baptism: 31 Dec 1884 St Andrew, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
          Percy Youlden Johnson - Son of John Henry Johnson & Kate
          Born: 23 Nov 1884
          Abode: 74 Vandyke St
          Baptised by: Geo. W Collins
          Register: Baptisms 1875 - 1904, Page 58, Entry 463

Baptism: 28 May 1886 St Andrew, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
          Cyril Johnson - Son of John Henry Johnson & Kate
          Born: 3 May 1886
          Abode: 74 Vandyke St
          Baptised by: William Lefroy
          Register: Baptisms 1875 - 1904, Page 66, Entry 523

Baptism: 28 Feb 1889 St Andrew, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
          Queenie Toulden Johnson - Daughter of John Henry Johnson & Kate
          Born: 12 Nov 1888
          Abode: 5 Hartington Road
          Baptised by: Hamilton Carson
          Register: Baptisms 1875 - 1904, Page 77, Entry 611

(I bet "Toulden" is a mistranscription of "Youlden").
          Sarah

Comment

Is there any relation to a Captain Youlden? Found this in the Liverpool Mercury in 1864:

A BRITISH VESSEL FIRED AT BY A SPANISH FORT. - Captain Youlden, of the brig Safeguard, which arrived at Hartlepool on the 7th instant, reports that when the Safeguard was on her voyage, in ballast, from Barcelona, and while at a distance of between two and three miles from Fort Tartiffe, she was fired into, the ball, a 28-pounder, passing through the ship's side, and lodging in the ballast. None of the crew were injured; but a short time ago the Moutaineer, of Shields, was fired into from the same fort, and had one man killed.
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
              N but the Aus. one says Captain John Johnson "of this town"............which I was assuming was of the town of Melbourne, so therefore assumed he had settled in Australia....we might have to switch continents to research.
              It might be that the Melbourne newspaper copied the article word for word from a Liverpool newspaper. I have found a couple of clippings for my tree where it says "American papers please copy" at the end.
              Sarah

Comment

Probably just a coincidence being the same name, but I found this death notice, also in the Liverpool Mercury, in 1875:

JOHNSON - Dec. 6, suddenly, at 9, Church Road, Higher Tranmere, Captain John Johnson, of Port Metway, N.S., late of the barque Agra. (Nova Scotia papers please copy.) The funeral will leave his late resicence at two p.m. to-morrow (Thursday), the 9th instant. (Friends will please accept this intimation.)

And another earlier one of the same name in 1845:
                Sept. 30, at Bonny, Africa, in the 50th year of his age, Captain John Johnson, of the Mary, of this port.
                Last edited by Cloggie; 23-11-09, 14:25.
                Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah & Jacky,
                  I've managed to get the Youldens back to Kate's grandparents William & Louisa Youlden in Exeter. Kate Youlden was born in Melbourne, but somehow came over to Liverpool & married John Henry Johnson in 1883. I can't find her on any passenger lists.

JHJ also a mariner, was born & brought up in Liverpool.

I assumed he'd either sailed to Melbourne & met Kate, or originally that he'd settled there with his father, then returned to Liverpool.

I've found a reference to a Captain John Henry Johnson on the Pizzaro to Australia in 1878, but not sure if its the same one.

We've got JHJ & Kate's children (thank you for the baptisms, I don't think we have them), & I've got JHJ's parents, & maternal grandparents, its his father Captain John Johnson the mariner we're stuck on.

We are waiting for a birth cert. to confirm JHJ's parents,then we can send for their marriage cert. to give us Capt. JJ's father.
                  ~ Louise ~

Comment

By the way, my 2x-great-grandparents were also married in St Andrews Church by William Lefroy. He later became the Dean of Norwich.
                    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lefroy
                    I can PM you some more info about him if you're interested.
                    Last edited by Cloggie; 23-11-09, 14:47.
                    Sarah

Comment

Small world Sarah!!
                      ~ Louise ~

Comment

Hiya Louise....try these 2 sites on Liverpool
                        Yo! Liverpool Community Forum Website for the latest News and Sport, Entertainment, Culture and History
                        This website is for sale! liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

good luck.....allan:Wink:
                        just been on yoliverpool and there is a forum on "ships and sailors"...have a look at it and then post his name and details....allan
                        Last edited by garstonite; 29-11-09, 12:14.
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for the links Allan, they look useful.

Does anyone know of this site

Home

It has the names I'm interested in, & says they have photos, but not sure how legit. they are.
                          ~ Louise ~

Comment

Working...
                          X