• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 USA Draft Card Look-up please.

I'm looking for a WW2 USA Draft Card for:

Evan Rees PHILLIPS
    Born Morriston, Swansea, Wales in 1888.

Emmigrated to the USA in 1910. He was inWalker Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the 1920 USA Census.I've found a WW1 Draft Card for him, but I can't see him on the 1930 USA Census.

I've found what I think is a Death Entry for him, in Glendale in 1972, but a WW2 Draft Card might give more info.

Many Thanks, Holly.

I can't find a match Holly, sorry

Comment

There's this entry from the 1930 US census that's not quite right for the facts you give but pretty close. Could he have lied about his place of birth? his age is only 3 years out.

New York State, Cayuga County, Auburn City, Ward 4, Auburn State Prison Sheet No.11-A
      LINE 21
      Phillipps, Evan R.; Inmate; Sex Male; Race White; Age last birthday 39; Attended school or college since 1929 No; Able to read and write Yes; Place of birth of person Pennsylvania; PoB of father Wales; Pob of mother Wales; Able to speak English Yes; Occupation Labourer, odd jobs; Class of Worker W; Veteran of US Forces Yes; Which War or Expedition WW
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-11-09, 20:08. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
        I'm looking for a WW2 USA Draft Card for:

Evan Rees PHILLIPS
        Born Morriston, Swansea, Wales in 1888.

Emmigrated to the USA in 1910. He was inWalker Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the 1920 USA Census.I've found a WW1 Draft Card for him, but I can't see him on the 1930 USA Census.

I've found what I think is a Death Entry for him, in Glendale in 1972, but a WW2 Draft Card might give more info.

Many Thanks, Holly.

Holly, The chap you note as being the correct one on the 1920 census - his year of birth is given as 1891 not 1888, that's the same year as the chap in prison on the 1930 census.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Holly, The chap you note as being the correct one on the 1920 census - his year of birth is given as 1891 not 1888, that's the same year as the chap in prison on the 1930 census.
          Hmmm...very curious.

The Evan Rees Phillips that I'm looking for was definately born in Morriston, Wales in 1888. (He was my father's first cousin). I have him on the 1891 and 1901 Censuses for Wales, with his parents James and Sarah Ann Phillips.

On the 1920 Census he was with his mother, Sarah Ann Phillips, & one of his brothers I think...

Also his WW1 Draft Card gives the same DOB. And so...either there was more than one Evan Rees Phillips, (quite possible I'm sure) or, the one in prison was being 'economical with the truth'!!

I wonder what the WW2 Draft Card info says?

Holly.

Comment

Further to my last Post, - I have now found the WW2 Draft Card for Evan Rees Phillips, - & it is definately for the right one!

It is completed in his own handwriting, in 1942, & shows him married to Rose,place of birth, Swansea, Wales, employed by the Milwaukee Cloak & Suit Company, & living at 4566 N 31st Street, Milwaukee.

Holly. :Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
            X