Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uhmmmm ... where would the name Liston come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhmmmm ... where would the name Liston come from?

My mother was blessed with the middle name of Westlake, and sure enough - a few generations further back, they were Westlakes, from Puriton, Somerset.

But her brother's first name was Liston - and I am wondering why that name was chosen. He was born in 1916 in Perth. Like, is it a surname, a town perhaps?

Any suggestions?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Hi - there is a place called Kirkliston in Edinburgh - according to this site, it was called
    Temple Liston - Kirkliston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There was an old barony of Liston, and Liston is also a Scottish surname if you look at The Surnames of Scotland.

Comment

I'll certainly look it up Naomi - although there were not scottish folk in that family - the mother side came from Mark, Puriton/Somerset, and the fathers side came from Charlton Kings/Glos.

I have never seen it as a christian name - well I'm not aware of any.

Comment

Just realised...you meant Perth in Aus! Thought you meant Perth in Scotland! Hmmm..I keep thinking of Sonny Liston, the boxer and Lonnie Liston Smith! There is a Liston in Glouc. near Bristol according to google maps.

Comment

lol Laughing here, and I forgot there was a Perth in Scotland.

Well that is interesting, having a town called Liston in Bristol. Might have to sus out some information that is missing. Will have a think about this!

Thanks Naomi

Later: Actually I had a look, and couldnt find it - ??
          Last edited by jood; 23-11-09, 05:16.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
            lol Laughing here, and I forgot there was a Perth in Scotland.

Well that is interesting, having a town called Liston in Bristol. Might have to sus out some information that is missing. Will have a think about this!

Thanks Naomi

Later: Actually I had a look, and couldnt find it - ??
            Liston, Essex Tourist Information on AboutBritain.com
            Liston Miscellany Liston is only three miles from Wrawe's native town of Sudbury
            Hmmm..now it's showing in Essex! :Big Grin:
            Essex, England

I just looked on here and got
            Liston ESS Sudbury

same from this site http://www.gazetteer.co.uk/cgi-bin/big_test.pl
            Last edited by naomiatt; 23-11-09, 05:26.

Comment

Thanks Naomi - those places seem just a bit too far away from Glos & S/set, but I'll look up and see what info I'm missing and maybe someone may have been born or married or even died there.

Comment

Hi - really odd - just tried again on google map and it said
                Liston
                Sudbury, Suffolk, UK - there are Liston's that were in Gloucestershire...but I've not found anything for a christian name of Liston. Intrigued to see what you find out on this!

Comment

I'm yet to find anyone with christian name of Liston. The surnames haven't jogged anything, nor have the towns - yet!!! Don't give up hope tho - something will turn up.

Comment

Jood..............My gg grandfather had brothers..

John Scoble Huband
                    William Scoble Huband
                    William Morgan Huband (reused the William)
                    and a sister
                    Sarah Tracey Huband.

I've found where the Scoble came from, but the Morgan and Tracey (not a common christian name in 1819) have eluded me.

The closest I have is the solicitor and the butcher in the town they lived.......true...I checked the directory....lol

Sometimes you just can't work it out.

Comment

Thats funny Libby (ooops I shouldnt laugh) - but maybe the butcher and the solicitor were good friends of the family !

Maybe one day I'll stumble over a name or a place relating to why my poor old Uncle was given the name Liston James. You'd think if they called MY mum Jean WESTLAKE .... and it was an ancestor, that Liston would be another clue.

Comment

I don't know if this is in the Wiki but finding general areas of name density it is handy.

National Trust Names

Comment

Thank you Southwick - I'll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                            Thats funny Libby (ooops I shouldnt laugh) - but maybe the butcher and the solicitor were good friends of the family !

Maybe one day I'll stumble over a name or a place relating to why my poor old Uncle was given the name Liston James. You'd think if they called MY mum Jean WESTLAKE .... and it was an ancestor, that Liston would be another clue.

No you probably shouldn't laugh. Our local solicitor here in Tenterfield is Mr Liston...........lol

There is town Liston up the road, but a bit far from Perth.

Comment

Ooops Libby lol

Funny tho that I havent found anyone with a christian name of Liston???

Comment

Someone I know had some mysterious names as middle names for his ancestors. It wasn't until he started looking at local street maps that he discovered the names were those of local streets. They were names which could have been surnames and he can only assume they were chosen to give the children more sophisticated sounding names :Big Grin:

They probably just liked the sound of the word!

Anne

Comment

Someone I know had some mysterious names as middle names for his ancestors. It wasn't until he started looking at local street maps that he discovered the names were those of local streets. They were names which could have been surnames and he can only assume they were chosen to give the children more sophisticated sounding names

They probably just liked the sound of the word!
                                  Its a reasonable assumption Anne. This was a christian name, not a middle name. I have just searched the neighbourhood where he was born, for a street name, no luck :( Im sure one day the answer will just land in my lap!

Comment

Working...
                                  X