Think ive got myself into a mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think ive got myself into a mess

I think i have followed the wrong line and would love a bit of help only problem being i havent' ancestry at the minute but any help would be much appreciated.
    Ok i have my grandad his dad i know is George Clarke born 1st Feb 1905 he married Florence Tedder 25th December 1926 then passed away 5th April 1955.
    His father William Clarke married Charlotte Curme and i know they lived at 26 Cowpen(not 100% sure on the spelling of this could be Corpen) Road Wimbledon.
    I know they married as i had a copy of the certificate (emailed from a relative but on my old computer which has a virus so can't get)
    I have them on the 1901 census 1901 RG13/661/78/42 (clark) well Charlotte and William as George wasn't born until 1905.
    Now this is where i get stuck i thought from looking at the census that Charles and Louisa were Williams parents but that doesn't tie in with what my grandad has researched he has said that Williams father was the Head Gardener to Lord/Lady Hatfield the millionaires, but the people i have been looking at dont fit. Can anyone help me out please i would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by jennie; 22-11-09, 20:43. Reason: bad bad spelling
    Jen

Ok i have been told by hubby that some files are still on the old computer so tomorrow when i get back from the school run i will put it all together and see if i can find anything from it to help fingers crossed i can.
    Jen

Comment

The address where William & Charlotte lived was probably Cowper Road, Wimbledon.
      I'm just digesting the other info to see if I can help.

I think Lord Hatfield owned Morden Hall Park, which is within walking distance of Cowper Road, Wimbledon.
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 22-11-09, 20:50.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

One possibility is in 1881 there is a William Clark with his grandparents Daniel and Ellen (transcribed as Edna) Tipping in Wimbledon 24 Ridgway King of Denmark (Beer Shop). In 1891 he is with his Uncle, William G Parsons, still in Wimbledon, along with Grandmother Ellen. William Parsons wife is also Ellen, so presumably the daughter of Ellen Sr.

I can't see any baptism record for him which would give his parents names. Presumably his mother was a Tipping -I don't know if that matches with what you have.

Linda
        Last edited by ozgirl; 22-11-09, 20:51.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

In 1891 Gilliat Hatfeild is on RG12/603/39/8 (the Hatfeild is spelt that way, not ie). I had a quick look but couldn't see any Clarks employed by him. Will see if I can track him on any other censuses.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Morden Hall Park, on the South Wimbledon/Morden borders was owned from about 1872 by Gilliat Hatfeild, a tobacco/snuff merchant, who was 'Lord of the Manor' and was known by locals as 'Lord Hatfeild'. The rose garden at Morden Hall was originally laid out in 1922 by his son (also Gilliat Hatfeild) - would this fit with your dates? There are extensive grounds and it would have needed a team of gardeners to look after them.

It is now owned by the National Trust.
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sorry i had to go last night. What i am struggling with is findig the Clarke who would fit in i think it is going to cost me certificates. All i know from my grandads book is that he worked as head gardener for Lord and Lady Hatfield and Surrey would be the right area. The thing is the tree i have done and thought to be correct doesn't have a Clarke with a gardener so not sure if i have gone wrong on my tree somewhere. After plugging in my old computer it looks like i have lost everything so can't even find the copy of the certificate i had so think i may have to buy the marriage certificate now to find out the names.
              Jen

Comment

Have often found that ancestor's occupations are "upgraded" by descendants (through word of mouth rather than research) eg in one of mine "general factotum to Lady Nelson" turns out to be coachman.

Comment

The one i have and believed it was is a bootmaker and i know from my grandads research that he was the gardener (grandad spent many a year researching the tree but for some strange reason didn't put a name which is really annoying). I think i am going to have to get the purse out and order some certificates to try and see what happened and where i have gone wrong.
                  Jen

Comment

Working...
                  X