Divorce records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce records?

Are there records of divorces? I'm looking for a divorce in Mull/Iona in the 1800's.

Are you sure there would have been a formal divorce? Divorce was horrendously expensive and difficult in the past - a lot of people just separated, and (possibly) moved in with someone else whom they married bigamously or the woman just took the man's surname. Or they waited until the partner died, and then married.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I do agree with what you say BUT - I was astonished to find not one, but TWO Scottish divorces in my family before 1900.

I can only conclude it was easier/cheaper/more acceptable in Scotland! Both couples who divorced were working class and wouldn't have had a ha'penny, I wouldn't have thought.

OC

Comment

Was divorce easier in 19th century Europe ? Specifically in Germany ?

My gt.gt.gt.grandmother apparently had four husbands, and I know that the first (my gt.gt.gt.grandfather) lived to his 80's (1819~1903). She bore at least ten children in her first marriage.

Her oldest daughter (my gt.gt.grandmother) divorced my gt.gt.grandfather in the 1880's and remarried sometime before the 1920's.

Her oldest son (my gt.gt.uncle) was divorced by his wife (before the 1920's ?) and remarried.
        Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
        Warwickshire name: Hart
        German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Does anyone know anything about divorce records in Australia? My couple, although British subjects, were married there in 1889. Would they have had to divorce there even if they returned to England? Or could they have divorced in England?
          ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Bearger...............You might find something in a newspaper....I think everyone here is familiar with my 1845 divorce which I found in the Times. It was in England, though.

Viv..........there are some Australian divorces online. What state and year do you think????

Comment

Here is one lot...

Just click "Search the records" near the top.

Comment

Here is one lot...

Just click "Search the records" near the top.

Divorce Case Papers, 1873-1930 — State Records NSW

Comment

Libby, They were married in Brisbane in 1889 and they were both back in England in 1901 although living seperately. On the 1901 he is down as single and she is down as widow.
                  On 1911 he is down as divorced and she is down as a widow. Couldn't find anything on your link but thank you anyway. (see my WDYTYA sticky on research)
                  ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Bearger, someone else I was helping found a divorce in the 1890's....on the National Archives site. He was just a carpenter and the co-respondent was a lodger in the home. I was surprised, because, like Christine, I had thought divorce cases were for the rich.

Many divorce cases were reported in the newspapers...often with all the gory details if they happened to be 'celebrity' affairs. If you can give a few more details (name, date, place) I'll have a look in the online papers for you.

Beverley

Comment

Definitely try local papers. The OH has a rellie of the period who managed to marry 4 times. Marriage number 2 was following the death of her husband. Marriage number 3 was bigamous and she got caught and prosecuted for it. Marriage number 4 was highly likely to be bigamous also as hubby 3 has disappeared without trace.

Comment

Thanks for the help. The Mull genealogy website is very good it show two marriages for my guy. Will see if I can find local papers etc.

Comment

I've remembered that I read somewhere - I haven't a clue where, sorry - that the Scottish Kirk sometimes had a "divorce fund" to enable innocent parties to divorce their dreadful immoral spouses.

The Scottish Kirk was red hot on sexual immorality! Doubt if the fund ran to the ordinary battered wife though.

OC

Comment

Have been told my couple divorced in 1899 in Queensland? Henry Sutherland Tucker divorced his wife for adultery with a Mr. S. Sarthon. Henry's wife's name was Eliza Florence Helmsey Tucker nee Fairfield.

Glad I'm not the first in the Tucker family to divorce!!! LOL
                            ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Hi Viv, I remember this couple!

Very few firsts in family history I think!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

LOL Nell
                                xxxxxx
                                ♥Viv in Herts♥

Comment

Working...
                                X