What info on Marriage Cert 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What info on Marriage Cert 1851

I have ancestors with a child 2 mos old in the 1851 Census (Scotland) - so I could assume that the parents were married prior - say for instance 1840-1850. I don't know if it was in Scotland or in Ireland.

What information could I expect on the certificate from Ireland, or Scotland please?

I guess it would help to find out which country they were married in first.
    Trouble is - the surname should be Laughlan(d) - but I recently was given info where in the name was wrongly spelt Lauchlan and Lanchline (no wonder I could not find them before). He was William, she was Elisabeth (both born in Ireland). The two mos old Son Samuel was born in Barony, Glasgow.
    Elisabeth apparently died between 1851 & 1855, because in the 1861 census William had son Samuel now aged 10, and a new wife Jane (Grieve) (sp Grive, Greive, Grieve) whom he married 16 Oct 1855.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

The LDS IGI was the original OPR records for Scotlandspeople so I looked on Scots Origins.

Very cleverly:emb: looked for a birth for William and not Samuel in 1851. There's only a submitted entry for Samuel on the IGI and its not in the catholic records on scotlandspeople or the OPR's that I can find.

On scotlandspeople OPR banns and marriages there's only 2 entries 1 in 1840 to Elizabeth Carruthers in Ayr and Elizabeth Kerr in 1848 in Ayr.

There was a marriage between William Lauchland and Elizabeth Stewart in Kilmarnock in 1834 and they had 8 children but no Samuel.

Scottish OPR's give very limited info - you might just get their names with of this parish - sometimes you can get the parent of one of them or both and perhaps an occupation. Your best bet when searching is to get the Scottish statutory birth, marriage or death of their child (after 1854) which gives the names of both parents including maiden name (if known).
    Last edited by JBee; 22-11-09, 00:40.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I find the Scottish OPRs quite informative. I have a Barony birth in 1852 which gave the following information:

"John McKINLAY, Spirit Dealer and Mary McDOUGALL had a lawful son, their 6th child, named Peter, born 1st August 1852, at 32 Main St Anderston. Peter McKINLAY and Archibald McDOUGALLwitnesses."

You can either download the OPR image from Scotland's People, by purchasing credits, or order in the appropriate film from your local FHC of the LDS, which may have the added bonus of giving you subsequent children born in that parish. I believe there is now a greater charge for LDS films, but don't know exactly how much, as I haven't used their facilities for some time.
      Once you have the mother's maiden name, you can search the IGI for a marriage -if it did take place in Scotland, the OPR may show something like this:

McKINLEY + McDOUGAL:
      30 June 1843;
      John McKINLEY,slater,Lennoxtown and Mary McDOUGAL, both residing in the parish of Campsie, have given in their names in order to Proclamation of Banns

Fathers' names - Peter MCKINLEY + Archibald McDOUGAL;
      Witness James McOWAT

Beverley

Comment

Hi JBee - William was born in Drumachose, Co. Derry, Ireland on 15 April 1827 (died abt 1878) So you would not have found a birth entry for him. but Samuel was shown in 1851 census thus:

Name: William Laughline born c1827 Ireland
        Address: 524 Duke Street, Barony, Lanarkshire
        Occ. Labourer - Brickfield
        ED: 5C / page 13 / household schedule 48 / line 9

Household:
        John Bell 34
        Margaret Bell 30
        Margaret Bell 15
        John Bell 12
        Elizabeth Bell 10
        Jane Bell 7
        Mary Bell 4
        William Bell 11 Mo
        William Laughline 24
        Elisabeth Lanchline 24 b. Ireland
        Samuel Lanchline 2 Mo b. Barony, Glasgow
        <I presume Barony is near Lanark?>

Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
        William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
        Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
        Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
        William John, Son aged 2, born Ayrshire, Auchinleck and
        George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Renfrewshire, Paisley. Therefore William must have been born in Ireland in 1828, Jane in Paisley in 1835.
        Samuel (whom we know nothing about) must have been born in 1851. I believe William came from County Derry, Ireland, but yet to confirm.

I'm not so sure those Elisabeth/Elizabeth's are the right ones.
        The family seemed to live around Paisley Renfrewshire area (as you can see above) except when my grandfather William John was born in Auchinleck, but that was probably a mining job.

I guess this is too hard a job owing to the years prior 1851

The only proof I have that Samuel existed was on the 1851/61 Censuses;
        Of course - because they have transcribed the name Laughlan(d) so many ways - it has made things a bit more difficult.
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-11-09, 08:15. Reason: post edited - please do not copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry as it violates copyright

Comment

Thanks Bev, looks like a trip to the LDS will be beneficial - I'll give that a try.

Did you know if Barony is near Lanark?

Comment

Jood, Lanark is the county. Barony is a parish (I think that is the right term :o) within Lanark. I did look up the boundaries once....I think it is fairly central around Inner Glasgow. I have families with all those varied birth places, too, and they are fairly close, geographically speaking...they seemed to move between Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire as the work opportunities arose.

Beverley

Comment

Sorry, I was reading the 1851 census and it said
              Civil parish: Barony
              County: Lanarkshire

I must confess I do get confused between the two - I thought Lanark was in Glasgow, yet there is a Lanarkshire - go figure haha

Anyway I have asked my dau. to get to the LDS asap as I am up in the mountains lol

Comment

Thanks heaps JBee & Macbev.

Comment

If you can find Williams death in the statutory records in Scotland you might find both his wives are mentioned (with maiden names) and hopefully his parents names.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If you can find Williams death in the statutory records in Scotland you might find both his wives are mentioned (with maiden names) and hopefully his parents names.
                    Uhmmmm JBee - where do I find statutory records in Scotland?

Comment

I googled for them, but it looks like I'll have to send away for the fiche I think, I suppose LDS has Scottish records on fiche?

I used to go to the LDS regularly some 20 odd years away, but now I live too far away, so I get my daughter to do it!

Comment

Jood, the LDS has the records on microfilm. I don't know if they have fiche...and I think you have to view them onsite....although I am open to correction on this.

The Statutory records are available through Scotland's People
                        Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople
                        If you haven't used this before, it is a pay site....£6 buys 30 credits. To get a copy of an image of the original record will cost you 6 credits (one credit for the initial search result, five to see the image). The OPRs, or old Parish Records go up to 1855, if I remember correctly, the records after that are the statutory registrations of births, deaths and marriages in Scotland. The site also has the Scottish census images and a limited free access to wills.

It is always a good idea to try to narrow your search before you try to access the images, else it can prove an expensive exercise. However, what you get for your money is excellent and Scottish certificates are as good, if not better, that the Australian ones.

The OPRs vary a good deal in what they tell you....some of the earlier ones don't give you much at all.

Incidentally, if you do decide to use Scotland's People, make sure you keep a note of your password etc, as the records you buy will remain indefinitely available to you as long as you always log in with the same password/user name
                        Last edited by Macbev; 22-11-09, 09:13.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks for that useful information Bev. I'll see how I go - I even saw our name spelt as Maclagan - so it will be an interesting exercise lol

Comment

Hi Jood

These are the deaths from 1861 to 1900 that fit his age range in Scotland (birth year 1826 +/- 3) - using Soundtex for Laughland only Lauchlan turns up.

1868 LACHLAN WILLIAM M 41 ABBEY BURGH /RENFREW 559/01 0364 2
                            1891 LAUCHLAN WILLIAM M 67 DAILLY /AYR 585/00 0038
                            1893 LAUCHLAN WILLIAM M 65 GALSTON /AYR 593/00 0097

They can all be viewed for 5 credits but I'm sorry I only have 1 credit left.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie I would not have expected you to use your credits - but thank you anyway. My William was born on 15 April 1827, which would make him 41.

I am organising with my daughter to get some credits.

Comment

That's ok Jood. I had a couple of credits left from when I was helping a friend with their Scottish ancestry. The Scottish certificates are great, they give loads of info, much better than the English ones.

So the most likely ones are the first one or the third one? Which one looks like the right area?

Comment

Just thinking that 3rd one is in the right area isn't he? That would mean that he should be on the 1871 and 1881 census.

Sorry - just realised that he was around Renfrew - so the first one aged 41 in 1869 looks the most likely.
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-11-09, 10:06.

Comment

Ooops - I didnt finish writing my reply !!! As I was saying William was born on that date, (above) so the first item would be the most likely - as William would have been 41 in 1868

Comment

No his wife remarried on 11 Aug 1876 - so he must have been deceased before then.

Comment

is it possible to do a soundtex on Lanchline or Lauchline (they are two other names that were incorrectly transcribed)

Comment

Working...
                                        X