Mid 20th C. research - where to begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 20th C. research - where to begin

I have researched the bloodline back, but now I'm researching uncles and working towards the present.

Where do people look after they have found their family on the 1911 Census and checked for marriages and deaths on the free BDM?

Any strategies that will be helpful in general and/or specifically for the West Ham area will be most welcome.

Thanks

FC
    Allum: Worlingworth/Horham Sfk/Canning Town
    Read: Badingham/Framlingham Sfk
    French: Canning Town Poague: any
    Bird: Newington Sry. (H)avis: Sry
    Burrows: Badingham/Canning Town

Ancestry has now transcribed Births and marriages up to 2005. Also deaths are available from 1984 to 2005 and I believe they are in the process of transcribing the deaths up to 2005 too.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I guess that any births you find on the 1911 you can track forward, if you have a sub to either Ancestry or FMP you can have an educated guess at information, there are of course other sources, electoral rolls help would help from an address point of veiw, there are also newspaper articles, trade directories, and certificates of course.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        I guess that any births you find on the 1911 you can track forward, if you have a sub to either Ancestry or FMP you can have an educated guess at information.
        Thanks, sadly not :(
        Allum: Worlingworth/Horham Sfk/Canning Town
        Read: Badingham/Framlingham Sfk
        French: Canning Town Poague: any
        Bird: Newington Sry. (H)avis: Sry
        Burrows: Badingham/Canning Town

Comment

Have a look at the 14 day free on ancestry then, as ancestry as chrissie says has births from 1915-2005 and the marriages are from 1915-2005 also, you can find quite a lot of info there, also, what about electoral rolls. If your ancestors lived locally, electoral rolls can give addresses away. If any of your ancestors had a trade, trade directories can help

Comment

Check out online trees, for example on Genes Reunited , Ancestry and TribalPages - see if anyone else has the same grandparents / great grandparents.

Check out the Lost Cousins website - enter your details from the 1881 census to see if there are any matches.

Check out surname message boards Ancestry Surname message boards / GenForum - Surnames

Although you are trying to work forwards, to the present day, you will sometimes find it helps to go back a generation or two in order to find a link, and then work forwards from that.

Join the local Family History Society - most produce a list of names that their members are researching.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally Posted by Darksecretz
              I guess that any births you find on the 1911 you can track forward, if you have a sub to either Ancestry or FMP you can have an educated guess at information.

Originally posted by Familycat View Post
              Thanks, sadly not :(
              If your are in the UK, most libraries have free access to Ancestry. Just do your searches there and save them onto a memory stick for transfer to your own computer.

Births from about 1915ish (not sure of the exact year) show the Mother's maiden name in the index. You should be able to find all the children of a couple this way. I have found this to be one of the best ways to find a line when working forwards in the 20th Century.

Comment

Working...
              X