Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know Whitwell Derbyshire please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know Whitwell Derbyshire please?

I wasn't sure whether this should go on here or general.

Can anyone tell me please what area of Whitwell might have been known as Snelston Peake around 1850?

I have a baptism reference in the Parish of Whitwell, Derbyshire – abode Snelston Peake Derbyshire.
    This family also have a baptism listed in Snelston and I was thinking that they were the same thing or nearby. I have just found out that Snelston is miles away from Whitwell, so I assume that Snelston Peake is a different place :conf:
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Can't find anything on the OS map. Perhaps they did actually live in Snelston but happened to be in Whitwell? :conf: Maybe had relatives there?

They are over 30 miles apart!!

Anne

Comment

your best bet will be to ask Barbara, Chrissie..she isnt online at the moment but I guess she will be tonight.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes Anne, that's what I discovered this morning when I looked at the map.

They were travellers though and went everywhere but mostly around that area. I think there must have been an area of Whitwell that was known as Snelston Peake.
        I am desperate to find them in 1851 and I can't and nobody else can either. So this morning I decided to trawl the pages for the area where the 1850 daughter was baptised. I started on Snelston until I realised that is was miles from Whitwell. I have now started on Whitwell

I'm considering going up to Whitwell and trying to find an old regular in the local pub to see if he knows

Comment

Oh thanks Julie - I take it she knows the area ?
          I may PM her :smilee: Ahhhhhhh just realised which Barbara you mean

Comment

I actually trawled the 1851 census, for her and not a trace was found Chris. (whitwell)

and like you, I looked and the only Snelston is near to Ashbourne, or SELSTON which is near to Pinxton
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh thanks Julie :smilee: That will save me doing any more of Whitwell then. You are a brick :smilee:

I bet they were camping in a field on a Peake in Snelston

Comment

Whitwell or WHITEWELL

There is a parish called WHITEWELL , nr Bolsover in Derbyshire.

goodyg.

Comment

I have pm'd you Chrissie

I don't recognize it as such, but I have started asking around some old locals for you as well, and will also quiz my in-laws who are Whitwell born and bred.

For info: Whitewell is an old name for Whitwell.
                  Barbara

Comment

Thanks Barbara :smilee:

Yes, definitely Whitwell goodyg :smilee:

Comment

Working...
                    X