Smoke coming out of laptop!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke coming out of laptop!!!

I have a laptop which I have to charge the battery to use,( in the back of laptop) the lead that connects the laptop is OK, but the 'socket' the lead goes into is burnt out, I saw a little bit of smoke coming from it yestrday, I know its not the lead, as it works fine on the other laptop and has done for many months. does anyone know if the 'socket' can be replaced, does it cost a lot, and is it worth getting done...as laptop are so cheap now, but of course I have everything on this laptop, and other than the socket, there is nothing wrong with it, I just can't charge the battery, this happen on the other laptop, so it must be a design fault......:( thanks.....Lilly....ps laptop is about 3 years old now....

If the problem is with the power jack or fuse, I wouldn't have thought it would cost much to repair, so it might be worth establishing exactly what the problem is and whether the burn-out has caused any other damage. If you have a local PC repair shop, they may be able to give you a rough idea of the repair costs. If it's going to be too expensive, they may at least be able to help you back-up your data.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

A lot will depend on whether the power socket is on its own 'board' or if it is soldered directly to the motherboard.

If the latter then the repair would be more complex, and thus expensive..

The biggest question in my mind would be 'what is causing the laptop to draw so much power that it is damaging the socket?'
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

thanks, for your answers, its the hole/socket, `i don't know the right name for it, but its the actual 'hole' in the laptop that you put the lead into `i have two laptop which were both bought at the same time, same make, everything. This problem first happen on laptop one about a year again, so `i just used laptop two,( just charging battery for laptop one on laptop two if I needed laptop one) until last night when the same problem happen on `laptop two, so it must be a design fault, but as they are nearly three years old.. `i can hardly take them back and start jumping up and down!!! nothing wrong with the laptops `I can still use them, just can't charge the batteries, so once the batteries die, that will be it!!! as I just can't charge them....`i tried my local `PC shop today, but they were shut, so I will ring them tomorrow.... but as you say, why has this happen to two different laptop, very odd.....have pinched daughters to write this lol....so if there are any answers, `i will be back later, when she's not about:Big Grin: thanks...Lilly..oh don't worry tree already backed up lol

Comment

Working...
        X