Adelaide Alice Richards - Born Bay of Biscay - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adelaide Alice Richards - Born Bay of Biscay - Help

I am helping a friend with her family history and her GG Grandmother Adelaide Alice RICHARDS (who appears to have gone by the name Alice) says in the 1871 and 1881 Census that she was born in the Bay of Biscay. Her
    parents were William RICHARDS born 1813 St Lukes and Mary (BLOCK) born 1828 St Leonards. They were living in Hoxton in both Census' with Alice.

Sue has checked the Births at Sea Register 1854 - 1871 BT158-1-9 the only family she could find was RICHARDSON on the Storm Cloud at London 24.6.1862 we don't think it is them though as it is William RICHARDSON, Wife and 5 Children. In the two census we can find them in the only child is Alice, who was born approximately 1862.

The family cannot be found in the 1861 Census so we are assuming they were abroad at that time.

As she was given the name of Adelaide I was wondering if the family went to Australia? Is there anyway of finding out if they were there in the late 1850's, 1860's?

Any help in obtaining what ship she was born on, when and where she was sailing to or from would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Jill

it might be that they are in the missing bits of the 1861 census

Missing Census Pages - Family Tree Forum
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think she may have picked the wrong family in 1881. I found them in 1871 (daughter enumerated as Allice), but in 1881 a matching William (a watch maker) is a widowed father-in-law to the Dowdle family with no daughter in sight.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Julie

Thank you for that I doubt if Sue knows this I didn't I will pass it on to her.

Regards
        Jill

Comment

Hi Uncle John

The reference for William, Mary Ann and Alice in the 1881 is RG11 391. William is a Gardner n d, Mary Ann a Brush Drawer (?) Alice is 19 years old at this time. She married for the first time in 1882 to William Augustus Wiggins. Then again in 1905 as a widow to Frederick Wiggins, William's Brother who was 9 years Alice's junior.

Thank you for looking at this.

Regards
          Jill

Comment

I see that Alice in 1891 is born in Bery of Biseny according to the Ancestry transcription.

I had a look through the overseas records on familyrelatives but there don't appear to be any births at sea or consular births for Alice.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I tried to reply last night but my computer had a mind of it's own so I shut it down in frustration.

The transcriptions are laughable sometimes aren't they one of my relatives was supposedly born in Somalia which should have been Somerset?????

Thank you for looking on Family Relatives for us, I don't know if we will ever find out what ship she was born on but I expect Sue will keep on searching.

Thank you for your help Uncle John.

Regards
              Jill

Comment

Working...
              X