any ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas please

I have just received a marriage certificate and the man in question was in the army 1918 and it says he was a glass blower so what would that have been in the army thanks

Margaret

might it have been his occupation before he went in?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

He may not have had permission to marry so put a previous occupation.
      My Grandfather did just that, I have his army record of the time but their marriage cert says he was a 'milkman' lol:Big Grin:
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

If he'd been conscripted into the army, he probably didn't consider "soldier" to be is occupation - especially if he had a real skill - and, even more, one that was probably not recognised as relevant by the army.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On his marriage certificate it has his army no: and in brackets Glass blower

Margaret

Comment

How old was he, if he was apprenticed to a glassblower it would have been for 5-7 years what was his occupation when he went in, in the census returns for 1911. Think you may have to wait for that Margaret.
            Last edited by salty; 20-11-09, 13:52.

Comment

He was 29

Margaret

Comment

Apprentices could not be called up to war.

My parents married during WW2 and the cert states my father's service number and rank, with his CIVIL occupation in brackets.

OC

Comment

Did he come from the Midlands ?
                  Glass blowing a speciality of that area.

Comment

Apprentices were allowed to choose to be called up, then finish their time after service!!

Comment

Salty

Yes, exactly, they could not be conscripted, but could CHOOSE whether to go to war or not, with the permission of their masters.

Most chose to go to war of course, but it is a nice little illustration of the ancient unbreakable bond of apprenticeship.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X