Some notes from North Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some notes from North Devon

For everyone who was following this story, and thanks to all those people who have helped in ‘the great Scott hunt’… I recently returned from the UK where I went to hunt for my great-great grandfather, Captain Arthur Henry Scott. I went to Honiton to look for his grave as we are pretty sure that he was buried there in 1942 aged 77. But there was no grave! Plenty of places where it would once have been but no more evidence.

However, and that’s the point of this, I did spend some time in the North Devon library in Barnstaple and wrote down some notes from the BMD books from a few parishes. So if any of the following is of interest to you, then drop me a line. I don’t have many notes, but I have some notes of BMDs taken from the microfiche and the transcribed registers (from 1551 onwards in some cases) for:

North Moulton – Moll, Moule etc.Leworthy, Harris
    Ilfracombe – Parminter, Partmynter (lots of them) and some Ankey, Acky and Dennis/Dinnis
    Hartland – Ashton, Dennis, Littlejohns, Nancekevill, Nancekivell etc. Neal, Burrow.
    Barnstaple: Knill (some Bennett, Barnes and Slocombe but not very much)
    Clovelly – Ashton, Littlejohns and Nancekivell, again only a little.
    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

I am doing a One-Name Study of Leworthys. Anything you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Valerie Norris

Comment

Originally posted by ValNorris42 View Post
      I am doing a One-Name Study of Leworthys. Anything you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Valerie Norris
      Isn't there someone else on the site who has some of those?... usually woefully mistranscribed!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
      X