times digital library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• times digital library

Does anyone have experience with searching the Times library?

My problem is my surname "Burwash", is also a place in sussex, so when I use this to search for any BMD announcements all that comes up is items related to that place.

I've tried all sorts does anyone know how I can avoid this?
    GWEN

You can use NOT to select articles that don't have certain words in them

eg. Type in Burwash NOT Sussex.

That should eliminate any articles that have the 2nd keyword in them. Unfortunately not all articles about Burwash the place will have Sussex written in them but if you play around you may find other words to eliminate.

You can also use AND

Eg. Burwash AND births
    Jackie

Comment

I have the same problem with my ggfs surnames PAGE and CREEK. Have you tried putting name in "" marks like in google, or being more specific that just the surname, another place name perhaps.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks for the hints I was getting ready to give up!!
        I'am having the same trouble with The Guardian and The Observer searches so will give them both another go and see what I can find I want to make the most of the free searches.
        GWEN

Comment

The Guardian and Observer work in the same way (I'm in Essex so I've got access to those too.) I use the AND function quite a lot in that one
          Jackie

Comment

Forgot to say, you have to type AND or NOT in capitals
            Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
              Forgot to say, you have to type AND or NOT in capitals
              Thanks Jackie for the hints I searched as you said but guess what? I still have all the articles with Sussex in.

I found only two articles related to my Burwash family and been searching for ages and ploughed through so many so off to have a rest before I scream. I should not complain its free.

Thanks again
              GWEN

Comment

If you search for 'burwash NOT sussex' (without the quotes) and tick 'People' underneath, it will filter out anything not in the 'People' section ie News, Ads, etc and should leave you with personal announcements like BMD announcements.
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                X