• Military help, please

Many, many months ago I wrote to;

Regimental Headquarters
    The 79th Cameron Highlanders
    Wellington Barracks
    Birdcage Walk
    London
    SW1E 6HQ

to try and find out if they have any records about my gt-gt grandfather who was a Sergeant of Scottish 79th Regiment on Foot from 1854. He was an army pensioner from 1888.

As I've not had any reply from the above regimental HQ ... does anyone know where else I could contact to try and find any information?

Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Have you looked on the National Archives website to see if there is anything there.

Check out the Research Guides - not sure, but it's possible you might find something using the WO 97 reference.

Do you want to give his name and we can have a browse?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine - thanks for your kind offer

Thomas Gilchrist born c1827-1829 Lanarkshire (died 1898 Argyll)

Comment

There are some entries for a Thomas Gilchrist but they are all too early for yours
        National Archives

You probably need one of our National Archive experts to tell you if anything could be found there!
        Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine for looking on National Archives ...

I'm presuming there may be some info somewhere about him as he was in receipt of an army pension ???????

Comment

thanks Jackie ... just nipping off to check them out

Comment

There is a Highlanders museum at Fort George, it includes your ancestors regiment, I know museums are not famous for replying, but might it be worth contacting them?

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                A few links that may be useful

Victorian Wars Forum; Index page
                Thank you for this! I didn't know there was such a thing and it's just what I need!

Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

There are surviving discharge papers for those discharged to pension at Kew. Only those discharged up to 1854 which doesn't apply in this case, are name indexed online. For those discharged after 1854, you'd have to go to Kew or get someone to go for you. Even if his papers haven't survived and not all have, as you know his regiment there are other records which can be searched - all at Kew though, not online.
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

hi all ... thanks for guidance

Comment

Working...
                    X