Vista error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista error message

I've been doing a backup today on to a Trekstor external hard drive.
    Have done all My Docs and piccies that I needed to do, was trying to back up Mozilla Thunderbird and when almost at the end the computer hung!

Pressed Alt/Ctrl/Del - screen went black - message Logon procedure has failed to create the security options dialogue - failure - security options. Only option was to power off.

I rebooted 3 times and tried to back up Thunderbird again, but seemed to get the same problem each time (seems to hang when trying to back up the pop folders).

I can see references to this error message on the internet but nothing that really tells me why and what to do!

HELP !!!!!!!!! Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
    Elaine

Not really had a proper google yet but found this ...

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx

A few people seem to be mentioning antivirus/firewall software.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-11-09, 07:00.

Comment

It's strange because I had no problem backing up docs or images.

It is hanging everytime I try to back up Mozilla Thunderbird. I normally right click and copy the Profile folder and let it copy all the subfolders as well.

I have compared what has copied across and what hasn't, and then tried to copy any remaining subfolders on an individual basis. It hangs everytime on the same folder which is pop.adsl.ya.com - gets to 10 seconds remaining ... and then nothing. Machine needs to be powered off.

I sat here a bit longer this morning watching and waiiting - and a blue screen kicked in with a BUGCODE-USB-DRIVER error message. The only problem was the blue screen vanished so quickly (like in 5 seconds) that I didn't get a chance to read anything else on it!
      Elaine

Comment

ummm, maybe you should try reinstalling or updating your USB driver. I just wonder if it's gone skew-whiff.

Comment

I could understand it being a driver problem if nothing else works - but I can successfully back up all the other subfolders in the Profile folder - it is just one that it hangs on!

I think I'll try to see if I can find out what else it says on the blue screen error message.
          I'll have to get OH to sit here with his camera and take a photo when it appears ... but he'll have to be quick cos it disappears very rapidly! :Big Grin:
          Elaine

Comment

What about copying each individual file under pop.adsl.ya.com one by one and see which one it falls over on.

I'm presuming nothing has changed (updates, new software) on your PC and it was saving OK before and it's just suddenly started to happen.

At least if you reinstall/update your USB driver it may eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem.
            Last edited by Guest; 20-11-09, 08:40.

Comment

Good idea John, I'll try the suggestion of copying each file individually - at least that will tell me which one is causing the problem!
              Will give it a go later - external hard drive is now connected to OH's computer! :F
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X