Great Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Grandfather

Hi My Great grandfather was born abt 1818 in Baston Linconshire.His first child was 15 years old in 1861, so i would imagine he got married abt1845. his wifes christian name was Elizabeth and she was born 1819(dont know where.His name was Thomas Parker.Have i got enough info.to find out when he was married. I have my Grandfathers birth certificate coming tomorrow maybe Elizabeths maiden name will be on it Colin Parker

Is this the Thomas Parker who appears on the 1861 census as a toy dealer living and born in BOSTON Lincs? If it is his oldest child is only 11 - maybe the older one is living away from home? Elizabeth's father is living with them too, so that's handy! Edit to say this seems to be the wrong one!
    The birth certificate will definitely have the mother's maiden name on so its best to wait for that before speculating on relatively common names. You should be able to easily find his marriage when you have her name as well - especially since they appear to have stayed in the same place.

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 19-11-09, 11:38.

Comment

1841 census

HO107; Piece 623; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Thurlby; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 6; Page: 4; Line: 7; GSU roll: 438759.

Likely Marriage

Thomas Parker and Elizabeth Ellis.

Dec qtr 1837 Bourne, Lincolnshire (14 453)
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Several baptisms of Familysearch.

Also an Ancestral file on Elizabeth's family.
        Last edited by WendyPusey; 19-11-09, 11:34.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Colin,

I think John and I confused things this morning when we moved your original post from the General board over to Research Qs & As. We were both trying to sort it at the same time - not knowing that the other was doing it as well!

If you click on the following link you will see your original post which I moved, and have replied to.

Are we talking about the same person here - and is the info I have given to you of any help.
          Elaine

Comment

Have got my Grandfathers birth certificate, Wlliam Halford born in 1853, His Father was Thomas Parker (born abt 1818) His Mother was Elizabeth Parker nee Ellis,Thomas Parker was born in Baston Lincolnshire, I would like to move on now to Thomas,s parents if poss,Colin Parker

Comment

Your next step is to order the marriage certificate of your grandfather's parents.

The reference that Wendy has found seems to the the right one:

Dec qtr 1837 Bourne, Lincolnshire volume 14, page 453

This will give you the name and occupation of Thomas' father which should help you to work backwards.
              Elaine

Comment

Colin,

you do realise that your gt grandfather was alive on the 1881 census?

he was living with his wife and children and grandchildren.

Thomas Parker b.1818 Baston, Lincs occ. ag lab
                Betsey Parker b. 1819 Thurlby, Lincs occ. ag lab wife
                Daniel Parker b. 1859 Thurlby, Lincs, occ. ag lab (not married)
                ELLIS Parker b. 1863 Thurlby, Lincs, occ ag lab (not married)
                Walter Lewis b. 1866 Thernell Heath, Worcester, England occ. ag lab (not married) BUT GRANDSON to Thos/betsey.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

Class: RG11; Piece: 3198; Folio: 107; Page: 24;GSU roll: 1341763
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There is a baptism showing on the LDS for a

Tho Parker bapt. 08 Feb 1818 at Baston, Lincs

Parents: Tho Parker & Jane

FamilySearch.org - Search
                  Julie

Comment

Grandfather

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Is this the Thomas Parker who appears on the 1861 census as a toy dealer living and born in BOSTON Lincs? If it is his oldest child is only 11 - maybe the older one is living away from home? Elizabeth's father is living with them too, so that's handy! Edit to say this seems to be the wrong one!
                    The birth certificate will definitely have the mother's maiden name on so its best to wait for that before speculating on relatively common names. You should be able to easily find his marriage when you have her name as well - especially since they appear to have stayed in the same place.

Anne
                    I have found out my Frandfather Thomas Parker was born in Baston in 1818,Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      There is a baptism showing on the LDS for a

Tho Parker bapt. 08 Feb 1818 at Baston, Lincs

Parents: Tho Parker & Jane

FamilySearch.org - Search
                      Thanks, I will have to get grandads Birth certificate, and Marriage lines, (would you say i need both) colin PS, thank you for your help>

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Your next step is to order the marriage certificate of your grandfather's parents.

The reference that Wendy has found seems to the the right one:

Dec qtr 1837 Bourne, Lincolnshire volume 14, page 453

This will give you the name and occupation of Thomas' father which should help you to work backwards.
                        You don't get all the info, but this link (Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837-1850) gives you the opportunity to download an Excel spreadsheet of the Bourne marriages 1837 - 1870 ~ church ones, anyway...
                        12 Oct 1837 Thurlby by Bourne
                        Thomas PARKER, son of Thomas
                        Elizabeth ELLIS, daughter of George

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by colin parker View Post
                          Thanks, I will have to get grandads Birth certificate, and Marriage lines, (would you say i need both) colin PS, thank you for your help>
                          No problems Colin,

I would get both certs, yes, that way you know that you are proving it as you go along, and not going to chase the wrong family. :smilee:

and that Marriage is looking good Christine., :smilee:

it ties in nicely with the 1881 census info and the son being named Ellis, and also with the LDS bapt I found.
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X