MS Word dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Word dictionary

Does anyone know if you can make Word accept English spellings instead of American? ie: words are underlined as mis-spelling because Americans spell them differently. :F
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

You just need to change the language setting.
    Click on Tools > Language, and then choose "English (U.K.)"

Do you see "English (U.S.)" in the bar at the bottom of the MS Word window? Double-clicking on that also allows you to change the language.

If you want to change the language of an existing text, you will need to select it first. You can select all by pressing Ctrl+A, or by clicking on Edit > Select All.

In the Set Language window, you can also use the Default button to set U.K. English as your default, or you can tick the "Do not check spelling or grammar" box or the "Detect language automatically" box.
    Last edited by Cloggie; 19-11-09, 10:39.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah
      I played about and found a longer way to do it but your 2 ways are much quicker.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

You're welcome. I edited my post above to add that you can also set UK English as your default language - there is an option to do this in the Set Language window.
        Sarah

Comment

Thanks for that I checked mine though ISpell and change it back to English (UK)

Comment

Working...
          X