Help re Australian Railway workers QLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help re Australian Railway workers QLD

I have managed to get a copy of the 1903 Census? for Clifton. Darling Downs, Queensland and found my Thomas Carroll b1863. His occupation is Railway Employee. I am wondering if any records are held that may offer a little more information? I don't have worldwide access on Ancestry.
    Thomas was born in Dunmahon/Stradbally Co Waterford and Married Bridget Leavy in 1896.

Could anyone familier with the Aus Census system (not sure if the doc I have is a census or a resident list) poss take a look at the entry sorry I don't have a ref like our uk ones. It seems to be in alphabetical order for names and Christian names. The entry I am looking at shows his wife Bridget Carroll first, then a Patrick Carroll (occ Saddler) and then Thomas Carroll (Railway Employee) All 3 entries show Clifton as the residence.

The reason for the second question is that I have a Patrick Carroll (b1858) as a brother of Thomas in Ireland but no idea what happened to him. Could this be him or could this Patrick mentioned be living in another house? It is not a son of Thomas and Bridget but they did have a son later named Patrick b1910. Many thanks for looking.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

There are no surviving Australian censuses apart from a teeny one in 1840. What you have is the electoral roll, and it doesn't contain any more information. All you can tell is that Patrick and Bridget were living in the same town as Thomas, but not necessarily in the same house, and you can't tell if anyone with a different surname was living with them.

Comment

You could have a look at the online BMDs for Queensland in case they help:

Ancestry also has later electoral rolls for Queensland if you're interested. You can search yourself here to see if you can find the names you want, although you won't get the full details:

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1954 - Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

Finally, have a look at the NAA site, which contains military service records:

Collection - National Archives of Australia

Comment

Thank you for that Mary. Aus is a new search area for me and the links are appreciated. So its an Electoral Role I have....Not seen one before but I thought it too organised for a census with people residing in alphabetical order!:smilee:

Anyone have knowlege of records for railway employees (1900's) in Australia?
          John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

John.................I thought I sent you that electoral roll, but obviously I didn't. Sorry.

I'm having more and more senior moments lately....lol

I know there is a Qld railway workers CD available, because I thought of buying to get my grandfather's railway records, also in Toowoomba.

I'll have a look around and see what I can find. It might be in our local library.

Comment

Here we are...

Queensland Railway Employees 1889-1940

I will try to get into the library today and see if we have a copy. I am in a different state, but my town is only just over the border from Toowoomba so we may have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                Here we are...

Queensland Railway Employees 1889-1940

I will try to get into the library today and see if we have a copy. I am in a different state, but my town is only just over the border from Toowoomba so we may have it.
                Thank you very much HM I will check that link out. I was going to go the library myself but its a $1,375 on the bus and I have a fresh turkey on order for Crimbo :Big Grin: I appreciate your help (and everyone elses)
                John

Comment

Hi John - not sure if you have burial info etc?
                  FreeFind Site Search Results
                  Carroll Bridget 1865 1926
                  Carroll Thomas 1863 1922
                  At Allora General Cemetery

This has lots of info about the area - the man typing away looks like me!
                  Well, if I was a man!

There's also this newspaper site;
                  Last edited by naomiatt; 19-11-09, 05:45.

Comment

John................I can easily get photos of Allora cemetery if you like.

I had look at that CD at the library....
                    It has several T. Carroll, Thos Carroll and Thomas Carrolls, along with all sorts of combinations for my Alexander Moore......lol

I will go back (I only ducked in today between classes I was taking) and go through the full index.

Can you post up what you have for certain so far, or give me the link to the other thread. I have been trying to trace them through the electoral rolls.

Didn't you find someone in South Brisbane cemetery???

There are a lot of Thomas, Patrick and Bridget Carrolls in the Darling Downs and South Brisbane area and more than one worked for Qld Rail.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                      Hi John - not sure if you have burial info etc?
                      FreeFind Site Search Results
                      Carroll Bridget 1865 1926
                      Carroll Thomas 1863 1922
                      At Allora General Cemetery
                      CEMETERIES OF THE DARLING DOWNS
                      This has lots of info about the area - the man typing away looks like me!
                      Well, if I was a man!
                      Looking Back
                      There's also this newspaper site;
                      NLA Newspaper Tags
                      Thank you very much I do have the grave details in Allora and a photo. Will check out the other sites in a few minutes and the guy typing :Big Grin:
                      I will post further details below
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                        John................I can easily get photos of Allora cemetery if you like.

I had look at that CD at the library....
                        It has several T. Carroll, Thos Carroll and Thomas Carrolls, along with all sorts of combinations for my Alexander Moore......lol

I will go back (I only ducked in today between classes I was taking) and go through the full index.

Can you post up what you have for certain so far, or give me the link to the other thread. I have been trying to trace them through the electoral rolls.

Didn't you find someone in South Brisbane cemetery???

There are a lot of Thomas, Patrick and Bridget Carrolls in the Darling Downs and South Brisbane area and more than one worked for Qld Rail.
                        The South Brisbane grave had Thomas Carroll buried with 2 female Carroll's, Margaret and Elizabeth who had very similar birth dates and the same names as his sisters from Ireland. But I couldn't work out what happened to his wife Bridget (nee Leavy)
                        With a little help the grave in Allora was found. A bit more digging led me back to Ireland and I made contact with relatives of Bridget. I gave them details of Thomas and Bridget's children including Annie Genevieve Carroll who I believed was a Nun.
                        Last night I got a copy of a 3 page letter dated the 21st of Feb 1926 written by Annie Genevieve Carroll (Sister Avitas) written to her Aunt Rose in Ireland informing her of the death of Bridget. Her dying wish was to be buried with Thomas in Allora Cemetery.... yes, I did shed a tear. It is a wonderful letter. I also got 5 sister and 3 brothers of Bridget

HM I will pm you my email address as I dont have links for the electoral roles and I cant access them as I am not a worldwide member. I just have jpeg copies.

What I have for sure is. (I know the grave says b1863)

Thomas Carroll was baptised 22 Dec 1861 in Stradbally/Bunmahon, Ireland. D 1922.
                        Bridget Leavy was b 1865 in Fyhora, Ireland. d 1926 both buried in Allora.

They married 30 Dec 1895 in Roma, QLD

They had 7 children
                        Mary b1896, Ellen Patricia b 1897, Annie Genervieve b1899, Thomas Joseph b1902, William Vincent b1904, Kathleen b1907 and Patrick b1910
                        All born in QLD, Warwick, Clifton

I have all the dates of death bar Kathleen plus marriages and war service certificates.

The 1903 Ellectoral role shows a Thomas and Bridget in Clifton, Darling Downs. Thomas is shown as a Railway Employee... good chance it's them. Hence the enq re railways as it may give other info. I was interested in a Patrick Carroll on the same role but realise this is not really a runner.
                        Last nights letter gives the confirmation I was looking for so anything else is icing on the cake. I may order death certs to see what extra info they hold.
                        John

Comment

John......I replied to you before I'd read this.....lol

Makes it easier with them local to me. I'll have alook around. It's no trouble as I have a list of people to look for around the area.

Comment

Working...
                          X