laptop problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop problem

Don't know if anyone can help--my laptop won't turn on properly.I had to turn it off when it froze and now I get the "start windows normally " or safe mode options but with either one all I get is a blank screen with the cursor which will move with the mouse but I can't get any further.Is there anything I can do to get it working again? It was working ok until it froze leaving me no option but to turn it off.

Hoping someone might know what I can do to get it up and running again,otherwise I just have to wait my turn with OH and daughter on the main computer.

thanks Liz:o
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

sorry not sure what the problem is but maybe the fan needs cleaning?? sometimes its the silliest of things .

Comment

What's happened to my laptop?

Thanks Val

the fan seems ok.It's a real mystery as it had been working fine until it froze and forced me to turn it off at the on/off button and since then I just can't get it to even show the desk top.I get the welcome page followed by the blank screen with the cursor only and it won't let me past that at all.It's really frustrating.The blank screen comes up whether I reboot it in the normal way or the so called safe mode.

Hoping somone might be able to suggest a possible solution!!

Thanks for looking

Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,

Have you tried booting from the "last known configuration option" This should be on the same screen as Safe Mode etc.

The Bad news could be that Windows has crashed and may need re-installing. Which could mean loss of data etc.

Dave
        Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Dont give up in the search for Maddie

Comment

thanks Dave
          I'll just go and give that a try.

Liz

Comment

hello again
            on the restart menu I've just got safe mode,safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt as well as start windows normally.When I choose safe mode I get the words safe mode in the 4 corners of the screen but nothing else and although the mouse moves the cursor nothing happens when I left click!?
            Now I'm doing a psa+pre-boot system assessment!! You'd almost think I knew what I was doing---I don't I'm just getting slightly desperate and found this option when I pressed F12.So far all the tests say pass but it's still continuing

Anyone got any more ideas

Liz

Comment

Liz,
              Try this if you can , but Windows may be corrupted.

Start inSafe Mode
              Start ->Run
              Type cmd , press enter

In the black DOS prompt type chkdsk /r/f

Agree to the schedule (Y) next restart of P.C.

Hopefully this may fix it....may take about 30mins to run.
              Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Comment

Hi Dave

had to dash out on the school run,back now so will have a go but where do I find "run" as I don't get any choices on safe mode screen just blank with safe mode in each corner?

Liz

Comment

Sorry Liz,

Missed off the important bit:emb:

When you start in safe mode
                  Press the left windows key(between ctrl & alt) + R

This should bring up the option, then carry on by typing cmd

Dave

Comment

oh dear nothing happens when I press left windows key and R still the same blank screen so I can't get to "run" to try the other things you suggested.Do you think my laptop's on it's last legs?It's not that old and it's a Dell.

Liz

Comment

What model of DEll?

Windows is probably corrupt....re-installing it should fix it....is your data backed up?

Comment

I think it's Inspiron 1501 if that's the model.Not sure if my stuff's backed up need to check with my daughter who knows far more than me but is on the main computer at the moment doing her homework.I'm on her notebook!!
                        Thanks for your help Dave

Liz

Comment

Sorry , couldn't be any real help.

Have you tried googling the problem. There may be an answer on a forum? I have sorted problems out like this like that. Worth a go hun

Dave

Comment

Will try that tomorrow .There do seem to be quite a few sites/forums I could look at.Thanks for your help

Liz

Comment

Try turning the laptop off at the normal switch, then take the battery out, leave for 15 minutes or so, put the battery back in and turn on again.
                              DGJay

Comment

Thanks Dg jay

I'm willing to try anything to get it working so I'll give that a go!!

Liz

Comment

Working...
                                X