Another Levien!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Levien!!

Hannah Sophia Roberts married George Edward Levien in NSW Australia in 1856. Her father died in Sydney in 1889, leaving a sizeable inheritance to her son Joseph Thomas Levien. But what happened to Hannah is a mystery.
    George Edward Levien was born in Kennington England in 1823. His wife Hannah Sophia Roberts was Australian and Jewish. It is believed that Hannah had a mental breakdown from which she did not recover - not surprising having lost her three daughters, Constance, Alice and Ida, all within a very short period between 1859 and 1864, Joseph being the only survivor. It is believed she may have died in a mental institution in Sydney..but no proof.
    Maybe she died in NZ?
    George's second wife, Eliza Heathwood, looked after Joseph from the age of 12.(1869) but they did not marry until 1876. Maybe that was because his first wife was still alive. George died in 1887 in Nelson NZ.
    I have checked Paperspast: Marlborough Express, Volume XXVI, Issue 98, 30 April 1890, Page 2: "A Lucky Individual. Heir to 75,000 pounds. Among the passengers by the Te Anau for Sydney yesterday were a detective and lawyers clerk, of Sydney, who had succeeded in tracing out Joseph Thomas Levien, in Marlborough, who is heir to a property in the heart of Sydney worth 75,000 pounds. The property was left by Levien's grandfather, Roberts. Levien was working at a mill in the Kaituna Valley, Marlborough."
    I looked at Sydney Benevolent Asylum - Search the Index but there is nothing there for Hannah - I looked at Roberts as a surname as well, but the only one was discharged in 1857..same year that Joseph T was born. Constance H was born in 1859, Ida in 1861 and Alice in 1862. There is a notice in the beta newspaper site that said Constance died aged 5 months and 4 days. Address was 13, Church Hill.

Please note that I have copied this to the Levien Thompson topic...
    If you have any ideas, can you please put the reply on that instead of this...
    also, if you have connections to the Robert's family.
    Last edited by naomiatt; 17-11-09, 23:53.
Working...
X