CHOLLET or CHOLLETT in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHOLLET or CHOLLETT in England

Several members of my family CHOLLET (original spelling) of swiss origin emigrated to England where the spelling sometimes changed to CHOLLETT (and even SHOLLETT).
    From Ancestry I could find several CHOLLET(T), but very often I cannot find what their origin is (France or Switzerland), and also no actual descendency I could ask.

Post edited: details of living people should not be posted on the forum.
    Elaine (Admin)

Can somebody help me in finding the origin/ancestors of the following persons:

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1978 (plumber, son of possible living person CHOLLET), who married in 2005 possible living person ca 1977

- John James CHOLLET ca 1901 (hotel waiter, son of Bernard CHOLLET), who married in 1925 Rose Ellen GREEN ca 1895, daughter of Joseph GREEN.

- Bernard Eugene CHOLLET who died on MAR 5, 1919 in Islington district, aged 27.

- possible living person CHOLLET born in 1955 in Durham Co, son of possible living person CHOLLET (chemical engineer) and possible living person PAINCHAUD (or PANCHAUD ?).

- Edith Marguerite CHOLLET born in 1895 in Fulham district, daughter of Ernest CHOLLET and Lily SAYERS.

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1950 (school teacher, son of possible living person CHOLLET), who married (2nd marriage) in 1975 possible living person ca 1954.

- John Lucas CHOLLETT born in Dartmouth on DEC 11, 1834, son of George CHOLLETT and Eleanor (surname unknown).

- James CHOLLET ca 1811 living in Lambeth in 1841 (Census).

- James CHOLLET ca 1838, married with Jane ca 1841, living in Camberwell in 1871 (Census), children = James ca 1860, Thomas ca 1863, Jane ca 1865.

- Joseph W CHOLLETT ca 1806, re-married with Elizabeth, living in Newton Abbot in 1861 (Census), children = Emily ca 1851, Frank R ca 1853, Fanny K ca 1854, and Susannah ca 1830 (from first marriage).

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1966 (restaurant supervisor, daughter of Raymond CHOLLET), who married in 1986 possible living person ca 1963, son of possible living person DUFF.

- Marie Léontine CHOLLET ca 1896 (bank clerk, daughter of Marie CHOLLET), who married in 1926 Gilbert Abraham DURANT ca 1900, son of Abraham DURANT ca 1864 and Phoebe Ann CHARLES ca 1864.

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1947 (school teacher, daughter of possible living person CHOLLET), who married in 1976 possible living person ca 1943.

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1964 (air stewardess, daughter of possible living person CHOLLET), who married in 1999 possible living person

- possible living person CHOLLET ca 1966 (school teacher, daughter of possible living person CHOLLET), who married in 1996 possible living person

- Philippe Alexandre CHOLET ca 1842-1917 (cook, son of Victor Alexandre), who married Sara BRAUNSCHWEIG ca 1837-1902, daughter of Marg. BRAUNSCHWEIG.

- Thomas CHOLLETT ca 1816, married with Mary Ann ca 1811, living in Chelsea in 1861 (Census), children = Francis T ca 1841 and Anna E ca 1844.

- William CHOLLETT ca 1796, married with Harriett ca 1796, living in Taunton in 1841 (Census), children = Louisa ca 1821, Harriett ca 1829 and Elizabeth ca 1837.

- William CHOLLETT ca 1840, married with Louisa ca 1837, living in Bridgend/Wales in 1861 (Census), children = Mary Aloba ca 1860 and Thomas ca 1861.

- William Henry CHOLLET ca 1849, living in Totnes in 1861 (Census).

With best regards
    Reynold Chollet of Switzerland
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 16-11-09, 12:08. Reason: Possibly includes details of living people

Hi - there is mention of a Mr Chollett in the London Gazette from 1840 - a partnership with a Mr Samuel was disolved - Artificial Florists of 45 UpperJohn St, Fitzroy Square - there are few other Chollett's as well as a number of Chollet's...e.g Daniel of 25 Rue de Courcelles, Paris who made an invention in 1858...
    London Gazette Home Page
    Also, there are mentions of both of the spellings in the National Archives
    e.g naturalisation for a Marcel Henri Chollet from Switzerland in 1930.
    Detecting your browser settings

I don't think you're allowed to mention living people in this forum...I tend to change to say P***r for Peter as an example.

Comment

Reynold,

First, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I apologise but as you will see I have edited your first post removing any names which might relate to living people. If you are sure that they have died then the names can be reinstated.

Can I suggest that if anyone wants any further information about these names then contact should be made with Reynold by personal message (PM).
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine for the living persons.

Thanks naomiatt for the infos.
        I already had most of them, but I found a few new ones in the London Gazette.

Actually I would like to concentrate on the persons of my list above, trying to find possible ancestors of swiss origin and excluding ancestoprs coming from France, except if they came to France from Switzerland first.

Comment

Hi - sorry, misread your post slightly. I don't suppose any of the new ones you found in the LG relate to any of the people you mentioned! ;-)
          I'm not that great with Parish Records etc...but I think that's a way of going back prior to 1841....might stand corrected ;-)

Comment

I see John Lucas Chollet had a presbyterian baptism.

You can find nonconformist records here, and there are half a dozen records for Chollet, including John Lucas.

It looks as though 3 of the entries relate to him, and two to his brother (?) Edwin.
            Edwin's surname is spelled Choletti, but it looks like the same family.

You may not get much more information than there was on the IGI, but some noncon records will give you 3 generations (names of child, parents and mother's parents).

The image costs more than the transcription, but sometimes has a bit more information.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-11-09, 17:21.

Comment

Hiya Reynold ...and welcome to FTF...you are going to be busy....on geneanet.org there are 9,646 Chollet on family trees....I`ve only looked at page 1 and the earliest is 1650 in France...the results are (and this is only for Chollet with 1 T)
              9,646....family tree
              5,008....archives
              2,251....library
              so you ARE going to be busy......lol...about 17,000 for you to view....if you get stuck trawling the site ,just PM me and I`ll try and guide you through bit.....happy hunting and good luck.....allan:Wink:
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi allan,
                Thanks for the infos.
                My CHOLLET have their origin in Switzerland but I concentrate now on the emigrated branches.
                However I avoid to search among the CHOLLET of France because they are probably 40-50 times as much as mine, with a lot of totally different lines which have nothing to do with us.
                For my family from Maracon/Vaud/Switzerland I have more than 4500 CHOLLET for more than 18000 persons in total on a single tree starting ca 1390. With branches in Algeria, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Caribbean, England, USA.
                CHOLLET - GENEALOGIE - GENEALOGY
                Arbre des CHOLLET de Maracon/Suisse - GeneaNet
                Lignée CHOLLET / CHOLLETT / CHOLLETTE (USA) - GeneaNet
                Descendance CHOLLET-OLINDE (USA) - GeneaNet
                Famille CHOLLETTE (Caraibes) - GeneaNet

I also follow other swiss CHOLLET from cantons Neuchatel and Fribourg because we maybe have a common origin before 1350.
                Arbre des CHOLLET de Chézard / Suisse - GeneaNet
                Arbre des (DE) CHOLLET de Fribourg (Suisse) - GeneaNet

So I am no beginner

Comment

Working...
                X