Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you find out any more about this family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find out any more about this family?

Hi all,

As part of my ongoing beginners research in to my family tree, I am trying to trace a tricky ancestor. I think this family might be them but I can't find anything else on them so I wonder if anyone else can see anything?

Cresswell

1841 census:
    on ancestry

Class: HO107; Piece 738; Book: 17; Civil Parish: St Margaret; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 37; Folio: 31; Page: 6; Line: 5; GSU roll: 438839.

Here they are again in 1851 census:

on ancestry

Class: HO107; Piece: 1474; Folio: 70; Page: 51; GSU roll: 87797.

The father seems to have moved by the 1851 census, but the mother isn't listed as a widow... hmmmmmmmm!

Any extra information would be wonderful, thank you in advance
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachandgarry; 15-11-09, 14:18.

I'm a bit doubtful if it's the same family, because Jane and Henry are shown as not born in county (Middlesex) in 1841, but born in Middlesex in 1851. Who is it you're looking for, and what definite information do you have about them?

Comment

The guy I'm after is Henry Cresswell, and this is the most likely chappy we've been able to find but I can't seem to find any more info on him to tie it up with what I have (which is little, and useless lol!)

Comment

Have you found him in any later censuses? If not, what information do you have on him?

Comment

Hi Mary

He's a tricky guy to track down, hence why I'm working on all possibilities now, however loose!

I have him on the 1871 census as Henry Selwyn: on ancestry

Class: RG10; Piece: 817; Folio: 33; Page: 2; GSU roll: 827758.

All his children have Cresswell as their middle name, and at various points in his own life he has variants of his name... On his son Alfred's birth certificate (1861) he is listed as Alfred John Selwyn, then a year later on his daughter Isabella's birth certificate (1862) he is listed as Alfred Selwyn, then 9 years later in the census above he is Henry Selwyn, on his 3rd child George's birth certificate in 1872 he is Alfred Henry Selwyn and by 1880 when he dies he is 'Henry Cresswell Selwyn'.

I have tried lots of options finding him as Selwyn, but can't see anything so am now thinking that maybe the Cresswell option is more notable. I don't know if it is of value but his wife Emily was listed as an upholsteress on her family census in Southampton 1851, and on the first two birth certificates plus his death certificate he is listed as an upholsterer.

I just wondered if the Henry Cresswell in the family in first post turns in to the guy I'm trying to track... but my beginners knowledge shows, and I'm getting nowhere. :(

Thanks for trying to help!

Rachel

Comment

Working...
          X