Can anyone read the place of birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read the place of birth?

Of Martha Gibbons, the wife (aged 51) b. Middlesex, ?????, in the 1881 census. It is transcribed as West Dartford but that's not in Middlesex! In the rest of the census returns she is listed a being borning in the City/ St Bartholomew / Little Britain (it's a real place - who would have known it!)

She was living in Bermondsey at that time. London > Bermondsey > St James Bermondsey > District 2a > Page 33

- Ancestry.co.uk

Thanks in advance ...
    :D Charney Jo

I'm not sure what it says!

However, it don't think the second word begins with a D because it's not the same as the D in Deptford for her husband.

It's definitely "West"! :smilee:

I'll have another look.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

On second viewing, could it begin with an "S"? It looks rather like the "S" in Surrey.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Ah, Elizabeth. Could it be West Smithfield? (I just googled St Bartholomew and that's the address of St Barts hospital)

Thanks so much. A second pair of eyes really helps!

Comment

West Smithfield.

Around St Bartholomew the Great near Barts Hospital. The meat market in fact.

ooops you just got there before me. I know the area well.

Comment

Thanks Maggie!

Can you help me determining which baptism record is most likely to be 'my' Martha? I will make a list of what I know from the census returns and the possible LMA baptism records.

Off to make list ...

Comment

Yes! I agree! I came to the conclusion it was West Smithfield before I saw your replies. :smilee:
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

What was Martha's maiden name?
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Oh, sorry Elizabeth - Wright. I know, from her marriage cert, that her father was John Gault Wright.

There is a Martha Wright born to John and Charlotte in 1830 in Haggerstone (I am sure I have seen her listed as coming from there but need to find it now!) or a Martha born to John and Martha in St Bartholomew in 1828. Both fathers are carpenters so that doesn't help!

Sorry for the delay - battling a broken laptop which keeps freezing and I need to keep restarting!!

Comment

Martha's marriage is on the LMA records on Ancestry - I wondered if it was her. It gives father as John Gault Wright, Carpenter, but I haven't found a baptism yet, unfortunately.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Well Haggerston is between Hoxton and Shoreditch a bit away from the West Smithfield area.

Which St Bartholomew because there are as you know two St Bartholomews in West Smithfield.

Comment

Hi Maggie

The baptism/birth is registered at St Bartholomew the Great. And, er, I wasn't aware there were 2 St Bartholomews in West Smithfield ... It's really helpful that you know the area!

Comment

I think the baptism at St Bartholomew as to be the one. Yes the Great is behind Little Britain and the Less is in Barts hospital grounds.

Photos in the Wiki

File:City of London St Bartolomew Jill on the A272.jpg - Family Tree Forum

File:City of London St Bartholomew the Less Bart's Hosp Sue from Southend.jpg - Family Tree Forum

Edit: the baptism link I think this one is the right Martha. The address is No 26 East Passage which is a couple of streets away from St Bartholomew the Great and is the West Smithfield area.
                          Last edited by Guest; 14-11-09, 10:55.

Comment

Fab. Thanks so much! The rest of the family are all Bermondsey way ... which I just about have a grip on. North of the river is all alien to me :smilee:

Comment

I think if you've only found two one in Haggerston and one St Bartholomew the Great then its the St Bartholomew one.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                                Fab. Thanks so much! The rest of the family are all Bermondsey way ... which I just about have a grip on. North of the river is all alien to me :smilee:
                                Can't see a marriage for Martha and John Wright though did they come from Bermondsey?

The only one I've found is this which I don't think is your one way to far away and says John Wright came from Essex.

- Ancestry.co.uk

But while mooching about for yours I found one of my Wingfields married to a Wright! :smilee:
                                Last edited by Guest; 14-11-09, 11:20.

Comment

Ah, you see, and I wasn't going to be looking for my tree at all today. Glad you got something back. See, helping others is good :smilee:

Comment

Working...
                                  X