SOWTER , to Button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOWTER , to Button.

I've now logged the main branches of my family tree here at F.T.F.
    If you would like to spend a short while going over it your welcome. If you are able fill in a gap where you see NFI [No Further Info] please do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Forums like FAMILY TREE FORUMS are a wonderful invention, I for one would be lost without them. I'm housebound and my genealogy hobby has helped fill my day for years. I would not have this hobby if we did not live in the age of the computer and the likes of this Forum. F.T.F I appreciate you.

SOWTER.
    No further info.= NFI

George b.c1800 [no further info]
    Spouse. Caroline Unknown [no further info]
    Child.
    George [john] b.1819.
    Spouse. Emma Jane Viercant marr. Jun. 1849. Maylebone Eng.
    Died. Mar. 1877 Reg. St. Saviour.
    Occupation. Fishmonger [Brit. Census]

Child.
    William b.1851.
    Occupation. Errand Boy [NFI]

Emma b.1852.
    [NFI]

George b.1856.
    Occupation. Postman [NFI]

Minnie b. 1857.
    Occupation. Scholar.
    [NFI]

James William b. 25 Dec. 1858.
    Marr. Mary TATTERSALL 30 Jun. 1886 Otford, Woonona, NSW.
    Died. 14 Apr. 1921.
    Occupation. Errand Boy.
    Lived in Australia 40 years before death.
    Children.
    Christopher 19 Apr. 1887.
    Married. 16 Jun. 1909 Otford, NSW,
    Ethel Elizabeth b.24 Mar. 1885 London, Eng. d. Sep. Orange, NSW.
    Died. 24 Aug. 1965 Dubbo, NSW.
    Notes. War Record.

Percy Edward 11 Apr. 1889.
    Died.1 Sep. 1918 Killed in action France.
    Notes. War record and other.

Emma Isabel 18 Jun. 1891
    Married. 18 Jan. 1915, Petersham, NSW, William Robert Button, b.15 Dec. 1890 Paddington, London. d. 2 Sep. 1961 Forbes, NSW.
    Child.
    Ethel Isabel b.1915
    Living. b.1916.
    Arnold Percy b.1919
    Living b.1912.
    Meryl Amy b.1926.
    Kevin Robert b.1928.
    [other notes available]

Christopher b.1860.
    Marr. c1881
    2 children may have attended Central London District School
    aged 3 and 5! [NFI]

I've said the following before but it needs to be said here, I'm delighted if what I've laid out before you helps in anyway and if you have anything to add I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Best wishes to all, Hawk [Australia]
    Kind words bring no blisters on the tongue that speaks them, nor on the ear that hears them.
    Spurgeon.

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
    George b.c1800 [no further info]
    Spouse. Caroline Unknown [no further info]
    Child.
    George [john] b.1819.
    Spouse. Emma Jane Viercant marr. Jun. 1849. Maylebone Eng.

Died. Mar. 1877 Reg. St. Saviour.
    Occupation. Fishmonger [Brit. Census]
    The marriage entry (certificate) is avalable on Ancestry:
    - Ancestry.co.uk

Date of marriage: 25 April 1849 - Christchurch in the parish of St Marylebone
    Parents: George Sowter, occ. gardener / James Viercant, occ. tailor
    Elaine

Comment

Children of George & Emma Jane

William b.1851.
      Occupation. Errand Boy [NFI]

Emma b.1852.
      [NFI]

George b.1856.

Minnie b. 1857.
      Occupation. Scholar.
      [NFI]

James William b. 25 Dec. 1858.
      Some of the baptism are available on the LMA records on Ancestry - if you look at the images you might get date of birth as well.
      London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk

Enter Sowter in the surname box, and father's name George, mother's name Emma.

Not sure if they are all yours but if you look at the images you might be able to compare occupations/address etc.
      Elaine

Comment

Emma b.1852.
        [NFI]

Marriage entry (certificate) on LMA records on Ancestry
        - Ancestry.co.uk

I am presuming here that you have the Premium package for Ancestry which allows you to view these records. If not let me know!
        Elaine

Comment

Minnie b. 1857.
          Occupation. Scholar.
          [NFI]
          Same again! Marriage entry (certificate) on Ancestry.
          - Ancestry.co.uk
          Elaine

Comment

George b.1856.
            ... and again. Marriage entry (certificate) on Ancestry
            - Ancestry.co.uk
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine - I gather that Hawk doesn't have an Ancestry subscription.

It does occur to me that - given the amount of certificates that wouldn't have to be bought at £7 each - it might be worth the investment of a short-term subscription? There are a whole lot of SMITH (BUTTON) baptisms, too, and they're ones with the DoB in the margins.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Elaine - I gather that Hawk doesn't have an Ancestry subscription.
                Ah right. A good suggestion about a short term subscription - even with the few I have found there is some useful information there.
                Elaine

Comment

Re Certificate

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  The marriage entry (certificate) is avalable on Ancestry:
                  - Ancestry.co.uk

Date of marriage: 25 April 1849 - Christchurch in the parish of St Marylebone
                  Parents: George Sowter, occ. gardener / James Viercant, occ. tailor
                  Just a short note to say thank you very much. There just great little mine of info in your note. Thank you, Hawk.
                  Kind words bring no blisters on the tongue that speaks them, nor on the ear that hears them.
                  Spurgeon.

Comment

Some of the baptism are available on the LMA records on Ancestry - if you look at the images you might get date of birth as well.
                    London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 - Ancestry.co.uk

Enter Sowter in the surname box, and father's name George, mother's name Emma.

Not sure if they are all yours but if you look at the images you might be able to compare occupations/address etc.
                    Morning Elaine,
                    No not a member with Ancestry. The funny thing is some days it let's me somewhat other days nothing.
                    I have tried and get the basic result then nothing but a request to join.
                    Regards, Ray
                    Spurgeon.

Comment

Marriage entry (certificate) on LMA records on Ancestry
                      - Ancestry.co.uk

I am presuming here that you have the Premium package for Ancestry which allows you to view these records. If not let me know!
                      Elaine,
                      No Ancestry membership. Hawk.
                      Spurgeon.

Comment

Elaine,
                        No Ancestry membership. Hawk.
                        Have you seen the post at #8, Hawk?

I haven't checked on the cost, but a short-term sub to Ancestry would probably save you a great deal in certificates, because there are images of the LMA marriage registers there (the exact equivalent of a UK marriage cert, with the bonus of the original signatures of the various parties to the event); and Baptism registers which include addresses, father's occupations and many DoBs... but not MMN; and burial registers, with addresses, some with DoD... but no cause, or notifier.

That would spare people stretching the T&Cs of their own subs to help you out and you'd have your own images - which might hold clues which others had not realised would be relevant to transcribe.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Have you seen the post at #8, Hawk?

I haven't checked on the cost, but a short-term sub to Ancestry would probably save you a great deal in certificates, because there are images of the LMA marriage registers there (the exact equivalent of a UK marriage cert, with the bonus of the original signatures of the various parties to the event); and Baptism registers which include addresses, father's occupations and many DoBs... but not MMN; and burial registers, with addresses, some with DoD... but no cause, or notifier.

That would spare people stretching the T&Cs of their own subs to help you out and you'd have your own images - which might hold clues which others had not realised would be relevant to transcribe.

Christine
                          Yes Christine, I did read post #8. I have and am giving it some consideration.
                          I heard some things on other forums about Ancestry Australia not living up to Ancestry UK, what thoughts do you and others think.

Do they allow a membership that allows for a one month only with no further claim on the member.
                          As a housebound pensioner I could only fund a single month or two each year. I would hate to give up my genealogy as it works as therapy for me.

Very best wishes to you and yours, Hawk. [Australia]
                          Last edited by Hawk; 17-11-09, 05:06. Reason: corrections
                          Spurgeon.

Comment

Yes Christine, I did read post #8. I have and am giving it some consideration.
                            I heard some things on other forums about Ancestry Australia not living up to Ancestry UK, what thoughts do you and others think.

Do they allow a membership that allows for a one month only with no further claim on the member.
                            As a housebound pensioner I could only fund a single month or two each year. I would hate to give up my genealogy as it works as therapy for me.

Very best wishes to you and yours, Hawk. [Australia]
                            There are some threads about Ancestry subscriptions, and which work best for different people. The Thread-Search should find them if you put those two words in.

Whatever you chose, you'd need to be sure it included the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) records, because that's where much of the value is for you at the moment.

Another possibility is to ring up and speak to one of the Ancestry people. They're very helpful. (I don't know what the free/cheap number is in Australia) If you express an interest, but then show signs of being less interested because of the price, they can sometimes come up with a discount - tho' that's usually for annual subscriptions, I think, rather than shorter ones.

This is what I might get if I were after French records, using the .com site:
                            WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
                            Annual $24.95/month*
                            Three Month $27.95/month*
                            Monthly Only $29.95/month
                            So the 3-month sub would be US$83.85 and a 12-month sub US$299.40, and that would be converted back to GBP. I'd have to do it that way, because I already have a UK sub, and can't take small extra bites to go with it if I go from the .co.uk site.

Christine.

Comment

Working...
                            X