can you cancel emails from Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you cancel emails from Ancestry

I am getting fed up with emails thanking me for my contribution to updating errors is there a way of editing so I dont get them?? thanks

I save all mine - as ammunition for asking for a discount - considering how much I've contributed to the site!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

good idea Christine but I am seriously getting fed up with them

Comment

Any views on 'corrections' of married womens surnames back to Maiden names on census? I have come across a few lately and I don't think it is right?
        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

oops read it wrong thought John said changing maiden names to married ones
          Last edited by Guest; 14-11-09, 21:46.

Comment

Why do you object to this? We are who we are - we are our maiden names. This is what makes it so difficult to trace a woman. Custom says we are known by our married names, but this cannot trace our parent's as their name is now different from ours. I think both should be used on the census!
            Ann

Comment

I have Annette Curtain on my tree.... bet she couldn't wait to get married :Big Grin:
              John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Val could you just block them

Comment

Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
                  Any views on 'corrections' of married womens surnames back to Maiden names on census? I have come across a few lately and I don't think it is right?
                  I think it's silly just doing it for the sake of it - I have found two instances now, where the married daughter is with her widowed mother and the names have been changed to the mothers' surnames - WRONG since the mothers were widowed from second marriages.!!
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
                    The information is described on Ancestry as "Alternative" not as a "correction". The drop-down list includes "mistranscription" and "enumerator error" (or something to that effect) but also (it certainly used to include) "maiden name". The idea being, presumably, that the extra info might enable someone to track a female ancestor, even if they didn't know her married surname.

There is a problem when people include a "maiden name" addition without the knowledge to make it accurate (i.e. matching to a re-married mother's name, for instance).

There's another problem I've seen where a correction, which is valid for one person in a group, gets applied to all of them, even when it shouldn't be. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether that did happen to any of the corrections I made, or whether others had submitted corrections without understanding (?or caring?) how the multiple bit was supposed to work.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X