Mary Holmes problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Holmes problem..

I have been looking into my Holmes family again...

I have a Mary Holmes b. abt. 1776 Leicestershire.

I have her on the 1841 census with her son Edward Holmes and his wife Harriet (mistrans as Hannah) and their children Joseph and Eliza

1841:

- Ancestry.co.uk

1851:
    I think that this is her but this time she is living with another 'son' though I cannot find any evidence that he is her son or any siblings atmo.

- Ancestry.co.uk

I have found a baptism of an Edward Holmes, states parents as Joseph & Mary Holmes of Smisby, Derbyshire.

can anyone else find Samuel (from 1851) in any other census, I'm having a bit of a foggy day, so am struggling abit.

many thanks for any help..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

can anyone else find Samuel (from 1851) in any other census, I'm having a bit of a foggy day, so am struggling abit
    This is the only mention of "Samuel" that I can see in your post. Are you having trouble because you're looking for the wrong name? (I have done this myself, so I know how easily it's done! :o

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This looks like Samuel in 1871

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        This is the only mention of "Samuel" that I can see in your post. Are you having trouble because you're looking for the wrong name? (I have done this myself, so I know how easily it's done! :o

Christine
        sorry Christine, I didnt make myself very clear, Mary was living with Edward in 1841 and I think she was living with Samuel (another son) in 1851.

I can't find Samuel in 1841 and it looks like Jackie has found him in 1871,
        Thank you Jackie

from looking at maps, Worthington isnt that far from Lount/Newbold/Staunton/...

The family eventually settled in Whitwick and then migrated to Nottm.
        Julie

Comment

This might be him in 1881 Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk but as he's in the Workhouse it's not much use!

According to Genuki, Worthington is only 4miles from Smisby......
          Sue

Comment

1861:

this is looking very promising!!

- Ancestry.co.uk
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
              This might be him in 1881 Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk but as he's in the Workhouse it's not much use!

According to Genuki, Worthington is only 4miles from Smisby......
              thanks Sue :smilee:

I wonder if this is his death?

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
              Julie

Comment

ok so its just the 1841 now that I am missing..

can anyone see it please?

Samuel Holmes, b. 1802 either leicestershire or derbyshire.. with wife Ann
                Julie

Comment

There's a Samuel Holmes with wife Ann here - Ancestry.co.uk Bbut my Derbyshire geography is nil so I've no idea if it's the right area....
                  Sue

Comment

thanks Sue.. its roughly 45 miles between them.. which isnt unheard of, but for the moment I guess they are mistrans somewhere,

I guess if he was a collier he could be anywhere working.
                    Julie

Comment

HI

The 1851 that you've got for Samuel, Ann and son James with his Mother Mary with them they are living next dor to a Thomas Cutter age 33 Collier

Well on the 1841 Samuel has become James tehy are livng in exaclty the smae place as the above '51 census still next door to Thomas

for ref

RG number:HO107 Piece:594
                      Book/Folio:15/6
                      Page:6

I know you've got the link back to the other post but I'll still copy this over there too.
                      WendyP

Comment

Wendy,

Thank you very much!! That does confirm my thinking then.. he did get mistranscribed...

all I have to do now is find a likely bapt and marriage for the parents and more children, (if ever!!)
                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                        X