WW1 records not agreeing (TNA/CWGC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 records not agreeing (TNA/CWGC)

The flying records for the RFC WW1 were released on Wednesday on the TNA site - so with great excitment I looked them up as I have two flyers from that time. I'm now very confused :conf: (not that that is difficult!).

Horace Martin Capon Ledger according to the TNA records was killed in France so how come on CWGC he is remembered on the Jersualem Memorial? Also if he was an Indian Reserve Officer (2nd Lieutenant) how did he end up attd. French Seaplane Flight? And how can I confirm which is correct - killed in France or in Palestine?

He must've have a special chap though as he appears to have been awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palms and the Legion d'Honneur. Where can I find out about his citiations for these awards?
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Hi

Does this website relate to your man

AIM25 text-only browsing: Institute of Commonwealth Studies: LEDGER, 2nd Lt Horace Martin Capon (1884-1915)
    WendyP

Comment

There are a couple of references to Lt Ledger that I've found by Googling. Probably more if you use different search terms.

There was a thread about him in 2004 on the Great War Forum so it might be worth asking on there if you want any more information.

2nd Lt H.M.C. Ledger - Great War Forum

Apparently he was killed near Beersheba while he was attached to the French Seaplane Squadron so I suspect that's why his TNA records show France.

There's also this Gazette entry

Jackie

Comment

Thanks both - yes this is my relation. He is my 2nd cousin (once removed). I will do some more digging. Unfortunately although there are quite a few Ledgers relations around we don't know where his medals are - we think that his widow might have left them to a relation on her side of the family (I can't find any children - but that is not to say that there weren't any). Another of hs brothers was also killed in early 1915 and a third served as a vet throughout the war in various theathers. (sp)
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Just registered with this site, having seen the posts about Horace. He was the husband of my husband's aunt, Ellinor nee Sandbach. Can tell you that in her will, Ellinor left the Croix de Guerre (with palm) and any other war medals to her godson, Martin D Hutley. He was the son of Horace's sister Gertrude Marion who married Charles Hutley in 1902. Martin was born Essex 1917. I have made some small efforts to locate any Hutleys in Essex who might know where the medals are now, but without success.

Ellinor and Horace had no children.

If anyone has managed to locate Horace and Ellinor's marriage, I would be pleased to know.

Jan

Comment

Does TNA only have people who died? My grandad was with the RFC in WW1 then went onto the army and "fought" in WW2. I have his army records but not his RFC records
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There's a 31-year-old Martin HUTLEY who travelled out on the Windrush to Bermuda in 1948.

TNA has service records for WW1 - but not the (large proportion) which were lost to WW2 bombing.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the tip-off about the possible whereabouts of Martin Hutley, although I have doubts as to whether he's still about. Can you tell me where you found the info about him being on the Windrush, please? I could ask my father-in-law whether he has any recollection about that.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jancba View Post
                  Thanks for the tip-off about the possible whereabouts of Martin Hutley, although I have doubts as to whether he's still about. Can you tell me where you found the info about him being on the Windrush, please? I could ask my father-in-law whether he has any recollection about that.

Jan
                  The full detail of that passenger record is on FindMyPast. If you don't have a sub, it's possible to do PAYG - tho' that can be expensive, compared with buying a sub, if it turns out that FMP is the unique source for a lot of records you want.

I hadn't thought through the arithmetic. If he's still alive, I shouldn't have posted his name on the open forum, but I don't have any specific evidence either way. As you imply, he's certainly very senior by now, if he is still alive. And his location, on that info, is vague.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Horace Ledger

Thanks. Things have moved on in that I swap info with an FMP subscriber who has found other material for me regarding Martin and this family generally. I don't suppose anyone would know where to find BMDs for Bermuda, short of approaching any kind of Embassy? Would be good to know if Martin married and had children. If he died, I think it must have been in Bermuda, as I see no death entry in England.

Jancba

Comment

Originally posted by Jancba View Post
                      Thanks. Things have moved on in that I swap info with an FMP subscriber who has found other material for me regarding Martin and this family generally. I don't suppose anyone would know where to find BMDs for Bermuda, short of approaching any kind of Embassy? Would be good to know if Martin married and had children. If he died, I think it must have been in Bermuda, as I see no death entry in England.

Jancba
                      Could there be a relevant record in the England & Wales records for overseas BMD events?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X