Irish help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish help, please

I've found a William John Larner age 21, born 'Kilrush Clare', on the 1911 census (he's a Gunner with 87 Company Royal Garrison Artillery in Hong Kong). I've been hunting for someone of this name for a long time, without success, and this man is just the right age. If he's the man I'm looking for his father was English, but I haven't found him after 1861 when he was an ag lab living with his parents in Gloucestershire. I've found the birth of William Larner on the LDS pilot site – registered Q4 1889 Kilrush, so I think this must be William John. If I can find the name of his parents I should be able to tell if it is likely to be the family I'm looking for. I have absolutely no idea about Irish research, so could someone please suggest what should I do next.

Thanks, scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Best have a look at the wiki on here where you will find loads of sites. Ireland is particularly difficult to research as not a lot is online and what there is can be expensive especially if you are not sure people you find are yours.
    Margaret

Comment

Margaret, I had a look on the wiki before I posted, and investigated some of the sites without making any progress. You've confirmed what I thought, though, Irish research is difficult and expensive, so I may have to leave this for now unless someone can suggest something easy and cheap! These are fairly close relations, but not close enough to spend a lot of time or money on at the moment!

Thanks, anyway,

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

You could try looking for a site like this in Ireland where some kind soul might be able to help when they next go to a records office.
        Margaret

Comment

You could try looking for a site like this in Ireland where some kind soul might be able to help when they next go to a records office.
          Margaret
          Now why didn't I think of that! That certainly sounds worth a try. Thanks again Margaret.

scuda

Comment

If you think you have found the right birth of 1889 on the LDS pilot site then your only way forward is to purchase this certificate from the Roscommon site. For this you will need to pay the correct money in euros and just apply for the cert the same as you would an English cert. Sometimes they ask for mother's name but in this case you will haveto say you do not know. Knowing he was born Kilrush Co Clare 1889 is almost there, and worth the money to obtain cert. I agree you still willl not know whether or not the info you obtain is your info but you have to start somewhere and can then maybe work from that info.

I presume you have also tried Ancestors site to see if his army docs are on there as that will confirm maybe his next of kin which can sometimes be father mother or wife. You could also try Kew TNA site to see if his army docs to include medal entitlements are on there.

If you think his father is English then consider the fact his father may also have been in the army, hence the reason John is born in Ireland if his father was doing an Irish stint in Co Clare in which case you could also try the overseas records on FMP which include the regimental records and search the records for a Larner marriage and maybe other Larner births in the same area around the same time and also widen your search for Larner Senior in the army at Kew.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 12-11-09, 19:33.

Comment

That's very helpful Janet, thankyou. I had thought that the father may have been in the army, but so far haven't found any evidence of this. I think I might use your link and order the birth certificate. If nothing else it might prove I haven't got the right person and I can put all this to one side.

scuda

Comment

Working...
              X