Tracing the Farrell's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing the Farrell's

I have been researching the name FARRELL for a while.

Family stories say they came from Ireland.

I was able to determine the following but am now stuck.

Patrick Farrell married Mary Holalock (b1806 in blandford, Dorset, d 854 - Blandford) sometime between 1825 and 1835.

I have 4 children for her in the 1851 census (in Blandford) where she is a widow.

Her children which she seems to have had quite late in life were;

Pat b1836 in Limerick, Ireland
    Mary b1838 Hull, York - have b/c - father is shown as a policeman
    Catherine b1842 - Limerick, ireland
    Thomas b1843 - Limerick Ireland

But that is it - I know nothing else about the parents Patrick and Mary.

Can't find a 41 census record for them - assume they were in Ireland

Can't work out why some of the children were born in Ireland and one from York.

Can't understand why the mother was born and living in Blandford, Dorset in the 51c would have been over in Ireland and then over in York and then back to Ireland and then back to Blandford.

Can't find any records for Patrick so early to show he was a Policeman.

I am hoping to search for Marriage in the Parish records next time I can get down that way, although she may have been married in Irealnd.

What else can I do to get some answers?

Any thoughts welcome.

I would imagine Patrick was employed by the police in Limerick and perhaps came over for a short tour of duty here. Is it worth seeing if you could post a message on a website in Ireland where someone might know a bit about whther there are any records for Irish Police.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi
      To me Blandford, Dorset spells army. Perhaps Patrick was in the army, moving around from Limerick, York & Blandford & later became a policeman, possible military.
      Moggie

Comment

Ancestry has an index of Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921, but it isn't complete yet. The index is based on microfilms held by the LDS.

There are several Patrick Farrells listed, but none born in Limerick.

Search Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921 - Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

thank you for looking.

Comment

Yep, had his wife's death certificate today and his is listed as a soldier. Now its a case of how best to track him down.

Comment

Working...
            X