Searching the LDS Web Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching the LDS Web Site

I appreciate that the LDS cannot put all information for research out at the same time.

I understand that they put different surnames starting with different letters into groups. Just wondered if there is anyway of finding out what the sequence is. I have been trying for days to search the name Bowman, but get "nothing found" every time.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Linda

PS I know you can get in through the back door using Batch Numbers, but in this case I don't have a batch number. Am searching Northumberland and Ireland.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

What are you putting in the boxes, Linda? Once into Familysearch.org FamilySearch.org - Search I selected Advanced Search, then IGI, put in Bowman and selected Northumberland. There were hundreds of hits.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, me too. You'd need to narrow it down with a first name and rough date, otherwise there are far too many to take in! I clicked on the pages to over 1000 of them before I got bored!

Anne

Comment

Many thanks for responding. I didn't know about the advanced search - shall go and give it a go.

Will let you know how I get on. Again thank you.

Linda

PS Just gave it a go and it worked. Didn't find Hugh Edward Bowman born 1853 but you have taught me a different way of searching.
        Last edited by Linda from Murton; 12-11-09, 15:15.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Hi Linda,
          Go onto the familysearch.org site and on the drop down menu, just under 'advanced search' is 'record pilot site'. Click on that and when it loads click on 'Browse our collections'. This will bring up a map. Click on Europe and then go to the Durham Bishops Transcripts and click on Northumberland. This will get you images for Parish records in Northumberland. You'll have to browse through the images page by page but it's well worth a try.
          Emeltee

Comment

emeltee

Hi, good morning, that pilot site was recommended a while ago and I have found it wonderful. On the Monkwearmouth records it helped me sort out a long standing query. I have found that it has speeded up lately too.

Many thanks for responding.

Linda
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Thanks to this post have found that the advanced search IGI page allows surname only searches. Has this changed recently because I thought that I had to put in a first name as well?

Comment

It will let you search on a surname only BUT you can't narrow it down with a date or event. Just putting in the county does work but you would be in for a long trawl unless it is a VERY rare surname!

Anne

Comment

I have had to resort to the surname only search when looking for RC baptisms. The Christian names are usually in dog-Latin which can vary between priests.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X